Chapter 14

"Mermaid?"

Mark's voice startled Mermaid. She'd stopped to take a break and her mind had wandered off again.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you," he quickly apologized. "Are you okay?" She nodded.

"You've been working yourself far too hard. You've been here all morning."

"I want to work."

"Would you like to take a break?"

She shook her head and went to saddle up a horse.

"Mermaid?" he called after her. "Mermaid, you shouldn't be riding off alone." She mounted herself onto the horse and rode off.

*

Holly was in the study when Mark walked in. He looked concerned, which immediately caught her attention. "What's wrong?"

"It's probably nothing, but Mermaid's acting a little odd. She just rode off, and I'm a bit worried about her."

Holly had noticed the odd behavior as well. "Where did she go?" she asked as she headed for the door.

"I don't know. She just took off."

It took Holly almost an hour to find Mermaid. The area was usually deserted, and had been one of Holly's favorite places to go while growing up because of the lake. Mermaid was seated near the lake, staring blankly in the distance.

"Mermaid?" Holly called after her but she did not respond. She left her horse near Mermaid's and walked over to her. "I've been looking for you," she said as she approached her.

Mermaid looked up at her and seemed almost surprised to see her. She got up and smiled at her. "I'm sorry," she said, reaching for Holly's hand.

There was something different in her eyes as she said the words that Holly didn't recognize.

Mermaid looked away and let go of Holly's hand. "It's so hot," she said, then surprised Holly when she started unbuttoning her shirt.

"What are you doing?"

Mermaid smiled at her and threw her shirt to the ground. She reached for the belt, unbuckled it and then unzipped her pants. After removing her boots, she eased the pants off her feet and headed towards the water.

"I want to take a swim." She removed her bra and eased down her underwear, tossing them over the heap of clothes.

"Mermaid, there are workers in these fields," Holly said, shocked by her behavior but unusually aroused as Mermaid got into the lake.

"I don't see anyone." She completely submersed herself under the water.

"They could come by at any moment," Holly said, but she doubted Mermaid heard her.

"The water is wonderful, come join me," Mermaid said as she swam towards the deeper part of the lake.

For a woman who had drowning nightmares, she certainly knew how to swim.

"Mermaid, come on, stop playing," Holly said as Mermaid swam further.

"Join me or I'll keep going," Mermaid said, submersing herself under the water for longer than Holly could handle.

It had been years since she'd gone skinny dipping in that lake. She couldn't believe she was about to do it again as she started to undress.

Mermaid stopped and lustfully watched her. "Everything," she said when Holly started walking towards the water in her bra and panties.