Busy Minds

Chapter 10

"Where's Jay?"

The group hug slowly disbanded and everyone seemed upset by the question Kai asked. Zane stepped forward and placed a hand on Kai's shoulder.

"Quite a lot has happened since we have all been together. You were not the only affected by the machine-"

"Jay switched with someone?!" Kai shouted in fright.

Zane raised his hands in a calming manner, "Perhaps I should have worded that differently."

Lloyd grimaced at Zane's screw up. "What Zane means is that the machine kind of... blew up?"

"Blew up?!" Kai put his hands to his head in terror.

"Guys!" A voice interrupted and all eyes landed on the very person they were talking about. Jay stood at the entrance of the deck and was leaning on the wall next to him. "What's going on?"

Cole stepped next to Kai in Vinny's body. He cupped his hand to Kai's ear. "He has amnesia."

Kai looked to Cole in disbelief. Lloyd came to Jay's side to help steady him.

"Jay are you ok? Why aren't you resting? And where's Dareth?" Lloyd asked while holding Jay's elbow and looking him up and down for injuries.

Jay moved his elbow from Lloyd's grasp. "I'm fine. I couldn't rest with everyone yelling out here. And Dareth is somehow asleep through all the commotion." He scanned the deck and everyone looked upset or nervous. Then his eyes landed on Kai in Vinny's body. He suddenly remembered the news clip he saw of Vinny. "Wait.. you're Vinny..." He pointed to Kai then his glance went to Kai's body and his finger followed. "No... you're Vinny..." Then everything clicked. "WAIT YOU'RE KAI!" Jay smiled and ran up and hugged him.

Kai was taken by complete surprise. He didn't know that Jay knew about the switch. "You knew?"

Jay pulled away and smiled sheepishly. "It was kind of an accident. When Vinny woke up I heard the conversation and I saw a news clip. It was a little confusing because I didn't remember the mission, but now I'm piecing it together. I remember the Mechanic, the machine, and the emotions I was feeling but not really the details."

Jay swayed slightly and Kai pulled one of Jay's arms over his shoulders. "Jay, that mission didn't end well for the both of us. So I think we should both rest."

The ninja of lightning groaned. "That's all I've been doing. RESTING. It's so boring. I want to hang out with you! I have so many questions! Like do you see colors differently in Vinny's body? Do you have his memories?"

Kai cringed and started to lead the group to the game room. "Uhhhh no and no."

"What about habits? Like I can't sleep on my right side." Jay gave an example and Kai did a double take. His eyes locked with Vinny.

"Actually yeah..."

"Wait you can't sleep on your right side too?!" Jay looked shocked and excited.

Kai squinted, "What no... I mean that I have some of Vinny's traits."

The group looked excited and confused. They finally started to settle down in the game room. Vinny closed his eyes and clenched his fists. "I've noticed too." He said as if it was painful to say.

Jay geeked out and squealed. "That is so cool! What are some of the habits?"

Kai's eyebrows went up and felt nervous being in the spotlight. "I'm never nervous but now I'm nervous all the time. I'm always fidgeting and gripping on the edge of my shirt."