𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

𝐀𝐍 𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐌𝐄𝐀𝐋 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐀 𝐇𝐎𝐑𝐑𝐈𝐁𝐋𝐄 𝐄𝐗𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐄
"𝑃𝑒𝑜𝑝𝑙𝑒 𝑎𝑟𝑒 𝑠𝑢𝑝𝑝𝑜𝑠𝑒𝑑 𝑡𝑜 𝑎𝑠𝑝𝑖𝑟𝑒 𝑡𝑜 𝑏𝑒𝑐𝑜𝑚𝑒 𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑖𝑟 𝑓𝑎𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟𝑠, 𝑛𝑜𝑡 𝑠ℎ𝑢𝑑𝑑𝑒𝑟 𝑎𝑡 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑡ℎ𝑜𝑢𝑔ℎ𝑡."
—𝑉𝑒𝑟𝑜𝑛𝑖𝑐𝑎 𝑅𝑜𝑡ℎ, 𝐴𝑙𝑙𝑒𝑔𝑖𝑎𝑛𝑡

𝐈
— 𝑀𝑎𝑟𝑎 —

𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐀 𝐆𝐀𝐕𝐄 𝐀 soft groan as she woke up; she was still beyond exhausted.

Diego had kept her up until three in the morning, ranting on and on about how Reginald was going to kill the president, and, despite her telling him to shut up a million times, he had continued rambling for far too long.

She shut her eyes as she snuggled more into Diego's side, but found herself unable to fall back asleep despite her fatigue; alongside it was now the apprehension of what was to come that evening.

She felt Diego stir and looked up to see that his eyes were fluttering open.

He gave her a small smile after he had fully woken up, and pressed a kiss to her temple. "Good morning, baby."

"Is it?" she sighed. "Is it really?"

"It is," he reassured her, a grin growing on his face. "Today, we're gonna reveal the truth."

"Oh, God," she sighed, pressing her face into his side as she shut her eyes. "How about we don't? Let's just leave it as it is."

"Not happening," he muttered as he slightly shook his head, then using the hand that wasn't wrapped around her to brush away the hair that had fallen in front of his eyes. "We're gonna stop him from killing Kennedy."

"And who knows, maybe even prevent our birth in the process," she mumbled. "Or maybe prevent him from adopting us. Or maybe cause the world to end. Or maybe—"

"Or maybe none of that," Diego cut in. "How is saving someone's life gonna do bad? It's only good karma."

"It's like talking to a brick wall," she sighed to herself, squeezing her eyes shut even tighter.

"A sexy brick wall," he corrected.

"Shut up," she grumbled.

She rubbed her eyes before sitting up and was about to move the blanket off of her lap before Diego wrapped his hands around her waist and pulled her back towards him.

"Hey, we have the whole day," he murmured. "Let's stay in bed a little longer, yeah?"

"I don't want to if you're just gonna talk about J.F.K. and how Dad's gonna kill him," Mara complained as he rolled onto his side to face her.

"Okay, okay, I'll stop talking about it," he conceded with a low chuckle, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her into his chest before kissing the top of her head.

"Thank God," she mumbled, pressing her face into his undershirt. "I think my head will explode if you mention it again."

"Let's talk about something else then," he murmured, strengthening his grip around her.

She lifted her face off of his shirt and looked up at him, pressing her lips for a moment before asking, "What are your plans if we ever get back to 2019?"

"With no apocalypse?" he questioned with raised eyebrows.

"No, with the apocalypse, how are we gonna deal with the dead bodies—yes, of course, no apocalypse!" she scoffed as she playfully slapped his chest and rolled her eyes.