Chapter - 1

Walking towards the playground nearby his home, ten-year-old Xiao Zhan heard the loud wail of his neighbour's kid. Xiao Zhan stood in front of the Wang household thinking whether to go inside or not.

Wang JiaEr, the elder Wang came out of his home gracing his bright smile towards Xiao Zhan. "Gege! Why are you standing out instead of coming in?" JiaEr questioned his gege looking at his hesitation.

Instead of answering Xiao Zhan smiled and entered JiaEr's home, still listening to the loud wail. "What happened to xiao-Bo?" Xiao Zhan asked out of curiosity.

"Oh gege! Mama took him to the hospital for vaccination. Since then, he's crying. I think it's paining. Ah! Now my ears ache to hear his high-pitched cry." JiaEr explained with a complaint against his one-year-old brother, Wang YiBo.

Wang JiaEr, the seven-year-old and Xiao Zhan go to the same school. It has been two years since they became friends as they're from the same neighbourhood. It's easier that way for them to walk to their school, talking and playing on their way.

As Xiao Zhan is the elder one, Wang JiaEr waits for him even though classes end for him soon. JiaEr would sit and complete his homework while waiting for his gege and they'd play soon after they go home.

Xiao Zhan walked with JiaEr to check on xiao-Bo since the little one didn't stop his attention-seeking wail. Zhao YunFei, JiaEr's mom welcomed Xiao Zhan with a smile.

"ZhanZhan, why didn't you come inside? I saw you standing outside so I sent JiaEr to welcome you in. I've said you almost a hundred times that you can come in without any hesitation."

"Sorry, aunty. I was wondering what happened to xiao-Bo as I heard him crying. So I waited for JiaEr outside"

"Oh! The little guy here will become a great actor when he grows up" YunFei side-eyed at her son and continued "He didn't cry at the hospital but at once we came home, he started crying as if his life depends on his tears"

Xiao Zhan laughed at her comments and walks towards the said little guy. "Hey BoBo look who's here, your gege came all the way to find out the reason for your wail" Xiao Zhan picked up YiBo from the bed.

Little BoBo cried out again as he is picked up from his comfort zone. Xiao Zhan hushed him and placed him again on the bed and wiped his tears. "Look at those cheekies. It's now filled with tear strains. Xiao-Bo looks ugly when he cries" Xiao Zhan said while wiping the snot from the little actor.

As if he understood the comment about his looks, YiBo stopped crying and looked at Xiao Zhan and Wang JiaEr with his wide eyes. The rosy cheeks and the rosy nose with the wet and wide eyes made little YiBo look like a cute plushie. Xiao Zhan cooed at the cuteness and politely asked Mrs Zhao to take a picture of them.

"So, the only way to stop my son from crying is to mention his beauty" Zhao YunFei laughed while searching for the camera. Meanwhile, Xiao Zhan and Wang JiaEr wiped their faces with a handkerchief to look good in the picture.

Xiao Zhan picked up YiBo and JiaEr sat comfortably on the bed. "Gege sit here" JiaEr said but Xiao Zhan shook his head pinching the cheeks of xiao-Bo.

"Look at the sight, you three will grow up as handsome men and girls would compete to be with you" YunFei captured a candid in which Xiao Zhan was pinching the cheeks of Wang YiBo wherein Wang JiaEr looked at his brother.

She captured more pictures and most of them were candid pictures as the Wang boys were like jumping monkeys. While looking through the pictures, Xiao Zhan asked YunFei for a picture in which he bit the milky cheeks of xiao-Bo and JiaEr back-hugged him while standing on the bed.

Xiao Zhan bid farewell to them and ran towards his home to complete his homework. It was his last term before summer vacation. Though he won't go from Luoyang to any other place as his relatives are also in Luoyang with him, he looked forward to his vacation.

The last vacation, he spent his time with his cousins, Yu Xian and Yu ZiYi. As he was a single child, he loved to spend time with his friends and cousins. Though their cousins were elder to him, they spend time in a joyful way.

Luo YiMou, Xiao Zhan's mother knocked on the door to call him for dinner. "Ma! Will you send me to the Yu's during vacation?" Xiao Zhan asked eagerly.

"Of course, you'll go. And for now, it's time for dinner. Eat and sleep properly you have school tomorrow" YiMou said.

"Okay, ma. YunFei aunty took pictures of us today. I asked her to take pictures and I also requested her to give me a picture." Xiao Zhan reported her about his day.

"Then, show me the picture. What about xiao-Bo. I can hear his cry even at our home" YiMou asked.

"Ma, she said she will give me once the pictures are washed. YunFei aunty said BoBo will become a good actor when he grows up" Xiao Zhan giggled remembering what happened.

"That little guy will sell the world if possible. Okay go and sleep before Ba comes and brush your teeth before sleeping"

"Ma YunFei aunty asked you to visit her tomorrow," Xiao Zhan said, washing his bowl. "As if I don't visit her daily" YiMou commented and ushered him to his room.

Before getting in, he heard his father entering. Xiao QiTao just entered home and Xiao Zhan immediately jumped on him. "Baba! Did you buy me the bicycle?" Xiao Zhan asked eagerly.

"Ah! ZhanZhan! Is this how you greet your Baba" QiTao asked smiling. "Next Sunday, for sure I'll buy you the cycle. I'll even take you along with me to pick the cycle"

"Okay Ba" Xiao Zhan pouted and entered his room. QiTao kissed YiMou's cheeks and greeted her.

"MouMou, I've got transferred. The department wants me to go to Chongqing and I want you to be prepared. Two months from now"

"Aiyo! ZhanZhan got attached here. He even asked permission to go to the Yu during his vacation. Moreover, it's not only him, I too got friends here" YiMou responded dejectedly.

"Honey, I'm sorry but it's a matter of fact when you're the wife of a policeman. I'm sorry to make you suffer" QiTao said brushing her cheeks.

Xiao Zhan who heard the conversation went to bed crying. His wail was not like xiao-Bo, as he muffled it with his pillow.

××××××

Notes:

1) xiao(小) which is used here is not the same Xiao(肖) as for Xiao Zhan. Xiao is for little.

2) Asian women will not change their family name/ surname after marriage, unlike westerners. So, Luo YiMou and Zhao YunFei will be addressed with the same name.

3) In future Zhongkao and Gaokao exams will be mentioned, which will determine the senior middle school (high school kind) and University respectively.