'til death do us part

November 12. That's when it all started. Ivory was walking down the streets of New York. They were busy, as always, but to Ivory they always seemed a bit lonely. Maybe that was just her though, for she was feeling the loneliest she's ever felt. She was constantly reading. She felt like it would fill some kind of void she had. She would read and, more importantly, enjoy every genre of fiction ever made, though she particularly favored older English literature, and fantasy novels. So, she was on her way to a local bookstore she found a few months ago when she was exploring (bonus: it was right next to a cat café). She'd hardly ever seen anyone there at the same time she was— until today....

November 12. That's when it all started. Theo was walking down the streets of New York. They were always busy, as always, but Theo loved it. He thought there was something poetic about so many people being in one place but each having a completely different reason for being there. Every person having their own complex lives was a fascinating concept to him. He could talk, more so write, about it for hours on end. The only problem with that is that he was having major writers block, so he resorted to reading. That's how he found himself in a local bookstore he found while he was wandering (bonus: it was next to a cat café). He's hardly ever seen anyone there at the same time he was— until today....

There he was. He walked in and ruffled his hair, making his round glasses fall askew. 'God, he's beautiful,' she thought.

There she was. She was staring at two books Theo couldn't see the names of. 'God, she's beautiful' he thought.

"Mornin' Theo! I wasn't expecting you 'til Thursday!" Martha, the owner of the quaint, little shop, exclaimed. 'Theo.... that's a cute name,' Ivory thought to herself.

"Yeah, well, I finished this sooner than I anticipated," Theo replied, holding The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. Ivory thought his smile could light the entire solar system better than the sun ever could.

Martha must've seen Ivory staring because she said, "Ivory, here, just finished that about a week ago! Didn't you, Ivory?" Martha questioned, giving Ivory a subtle wink.

"Oh, yes ma'am," she replied while giving the older woman her best try at a death glare, but her smile was too hard to actually accomplish it

'Ivory... that's a cute name,' Theo thought to himself.
"Really? How'd you like it?" Theo asked. 'God, I hope she likes it because she's really pretty and seems really nice but I don't know if I could talk to her if she didn't like it,' he said to himself.

"I, literally, could not put it down! It was so good!!" Ivory beamed, "How about you?" she asked.

"Oh my God, I loved it!" Theo exclaimed. 'Thank God,' they both thought simultaneously.

For about 30 minutes, Ivory and Theo talked about the classic novel and what they liked and disliked about it. Ivory told him that she had already seen the movie and explained that Ben Barnes was perfect for the role. Theo replied that he was excited to watch it. Martha watched the pair with a knowing look and a certain sparkle in her eyes.

"So, what book are you getting now?" Theo asked the girl.

"It's between Pride and Prejudice and To Kill a Mockingbird," Ivory replied.

"Did you not have to read To Kill a Mockingbird in school?" Theo questioned.

"No, I did, but I didn't understand the weight of what I was reading back then. I also didn't like reading very much at the time, so I figured I'd give it another go," Ivory answered honestly.

"That seems fair. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my all time favorites, but I haven't read Pride and Prejudice yet. Actually, it's next on my list!" Theo exclaimed. He thought he was rambling but, little did he know, Ivory loved every bit of it.

Ivory decided now was the time she would make her move.
"Maybe we could read it together then?" she said. She phrased it more like a question than a mere suggestion, but that didn't matter when he said, "Yeah, that sounds great!"

Before he could say anything more, Ivory grabbed two copies of Pride and Prejudice and made her way to the counter where Martha was already waiting.

"Ivory, you don't have to do this," Theo stated. Ivory felt a tingle in her stomach and a blush on her face when he said her name but quickly recovered and said, "Relax, Theo, you'll just have to take me out to dinner sometime."

"Do you have any plans right now?" Theo asked, desperately hoping she'd say....

"No, not that I can think of!" Ivory answered eagerly. She had just finished paying and Theo immediately grabbed her hand and dragged her to the café next door.

That was four years ago. They had been together ever since then. They continued to read books together, Theo continued to write them, and Ivory began to read and critique them. They were happily dating until, of course, something major happened.

"Have you prepared them?" the priest asked.
Theo answered with a nod, afraid that if he said anything the tears that were threatening to spill would come raining down his face.

"You may recite your vows," the priest said.

"November 12. Four years ago. I remember it like it was yesterday. I remember walking into the bookstore with plans of being there for, like, five minutes. That was until I saw you. I remember being so excited that you liked—— right, sorry—— loved The Picture of Dorian Gray and I remember thinking 'I have to know this girl.' I'll tell you... when I was reading the book, there was a line that always stuck out to me, that always resonated with me. "Some things are more precious because they don't last long." I walked through life believing that to be true, but now, looking back, I think it could not be more wrong. We've been together for four years, and I think that this gets more precious as time moves on. Getting to know more about each other, getting more comfortable with each other, being the one person the other turns to when they're upset or even excited— that feeling only grows with time and I cannot wait to experience that with you. I love you," Theo said. The tears that were threatening to spill were falling down his face with no control, but he still managed to look at Ivory with pure love and adoration. Now it was her turn.

"'You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.' When you read that line to me that night on your couch all those years ago, I felt something I had never felt before. I believe that feeling to be the seeds of love planting themselves in my heart. It stirred in me for so long and before I knew it, you became the person I want to spend my whole life with. Not once have I met anyone that understands me quite like you do. Even in the smallest of ways: like when I'm crying because of a book you wrote, you take it out of my hands and hold me until I'm over it, or when I say 'I'm tired,' you say 'I'll be right back,' and then come back 10 minutes later with a coffee in your hands. You are by far the most wonderful creature to ever walk this earth. Sometimes, I feel as though I don't truly deserve you, even though you tell me that's barbaric. I don't feel as though this cruel, hateful world deserves something as wonderful and kind as you are, but I'll thank my lucky stars that you chose to be with me. I love you Theodore. Forever and always."

By the time Ivory was finished, not only was she crying, but all of their guests were too. Theo never thought he had heard, or even read, words as beautiful as the words that fell gracefully out of Ivory's mouth and she felt the same about Theo's words. Ivory got so caught up in everything she didn't hear those five magic words until Theo's lips were on hers as an act of togetherness. She was now fully his and he was now fully hers and neither of them would have it any other way.