Chapter 5

𝗘𝗿𝗲𝗻'𝘀 𝗣𝗢𝗩:

I was sitting on the bed as straight as a stick and the little girl was just next to me.

"Since when did you knew?" I asked, eyes still fixed on the wall.

"Since the first time you've woken up. When I looked into your eyes, I immediately recognized them. They were as we said. Emerald green filled with unmatchable rage and anger. That's why I looked frightened when you saw me at first."

"And now you're telling me that you're not afraid of me anymore?" I asked confused.

"Exactly"

"But why though? If you knew me that well, you should've known that I had destroyed the majority of the world, right?" I asked, turning my eyes from the wall to her.

"Yeah I know." She took a long pause. "But, you see, I've had time to think about this whole situation after we moved here, me and my parents, and the problem with you is that, you don't realize what good you have done, you only focalise on the bad. And you surely don't realize how much I admire you"

"For what? Trample people?"

"No silly!" She gaves me a little blow in the back of my head and I did everything to make sure she didn't saw that she hurted me a bit. This girl really had superhuman strength."Look" She breathed deeply "You may not be realizing it clearly right now, but... you saved us. You saved the future generation from the curse of titans, from misfortune, from the fact that they no longer have to be afraid of being eaten. Certainly, there must have been thousands of sacrifices, but, when you take a step back, you realize that at the end, all of this was worth it."

When she finished her speech, I didn't know if I was in front of a little girl or an elderly lady.

"Of course" She continued "I don't think that everyone will have the same opinion as me, so listen to me well" She looked at me straight in the eyes "if you want to go, please be careful, because not everyone will be as lenient as me"

The look she threw me scared me a bit, but I nodded.

"Good, I will go to sleep now, I'm tired" She went to get out of the room.

"Wait" I said. Something came to my mind. "Why did you asked me my name if you already knew who I was?"

She kept quiet, and then looked at me with a smile, "Because I wanted to know what rotten name you would choose."

"Hm I see" I said, chuckling a bit, "and I imagine you're the only one aware?"

"Lucky for you, yes. My parents may be smart, but they aren't as quick-witted as me. Besides,... I don't really know which side they're on, considering what happened with my uncle and all that... well, however, there's no point in talking about that anyway" She said, trying to change the subject but I could clearly see the gleam of sadness in her eyes.

Her remarks perturbed me a bit but I didn't want to rush her by advancing on this topic, so I continued, "You know, you're very mature for an eight year old child"

"I know" She said while releasing a breath "that's why I play numb around my parents most of the time, so they're not afraid to have raised a child with unknown capacity, even if it's the case..." And then she walked out.

I didn't quite understand her last sentence, what did she mean by "unknown capacity"? I decided to let it go since it was all messing with my head. However, as I went to sleep, I began to rethink of everything she said to me, about that I saved the world. It was partly true, I know, but... I couldn't help hating myself from the bottom of my heart for everything I had done, all the lives I took, all the families I broke. I didn't know why but the little refugee of Marley came back to my mind. This poor little kid who just wanted to raise enough money to be able to find a better place to live with his family. I took that from him, too, in addition of his freedom.