Chapter 9

𝗘𝗿𝗲𝗻'𝘀 𝗣𝗢𝗩:

The first thing I saw when I opened my eyes was a bunch of ebony hair.

I smiled to myself, remembering where I was.

"Good morning" I whispered in Mikasa's ear while I tightened my grip around her.

She groaned a bit and turned herself to face me. When she did it, our lips were merely inches from each other.

"Good morning to you too" She whispered in response, her breath tickling my lips.

I couldn't help but staring at her, mesmerized by her sight. At that moment, she seemed unreal to me, like a fallen angel. She noticed after a while my insistent gaze, then looked at me with a frown.

"Do I have something on my face?" She started to worry.

I let out a foolish smile and tilt my head up a bit to give her a little kiss on the tip of her nose.

She started to blush.

I wanted to keep talking to her but I heard someone knocking on the door.

"Hey, Mikasa" I heard Historia called behind the door, "There is an important meeting taking place in the living room. This is very urgent. Can you tell Eren about that, please? I don't know in which room he is."

"Yeah sure, I will tell him" She answered, blushing even more.

"You know we are old enough now to sleep in the same bed without having a punishment, right? And to remind you, it's not the first time it's happened"

She smiled a bit, remembering the good old days.

The first day we joined the survey corps, we were told that there was one dormitory for girls and another for boys and that it was totally forbidden to go out of our dormitory at night. But still, one night, Mikasa had broken this rule and went to join me in my room. She had arrived in tears, telling me she had experienced a horrible nightmare, so I had suggested her to stay and sleep next to me. During her sleep, she had clenched to me as if I was her anchor which allowed her to stay on the surface. I had wrapped my arms around her, exactly like now, and told her that everything would be okay.

I scoffed at myself at that thought, If only we had knew...

"Come on Eren," Mikasa said, making me come out of my reveries. "We have to go, Historia said that it was urgent"

———

As we entered the saloon, every eye turned towards us, or I would rather say, towards me.

"What is going on?" Mikasa asked, worried, seeing all the doubtful expressions.

Levi blowout a tired breath, "Most of the inhabitants of this town are already aware that Eren's back. Geez... those guards are worse than old gossips."

I froze and felt Mikasa stiffened next to me. I knew there will be a time when everyone would have known that I was back, but this early? I looked at Mikasa and she was as lost as me.

"Anyway," Levi continued, "At the moment, only this city knows about it, but given how the news is spreading, it won't take long to reach everyone's ears"

"That's why..." This time it was Historia who spoke, "... I've prepared a big enough cottage, well hidden amongst trees, for you, Eren, including your friends and some guards to protect you. Obviously, all of this will be temporary. It will just take the time to be able to calm this situation"

I was puzzled about it, but if it would keep them from having even more problems because of me, then I was ready to accept it.

She next looked at the whole room, "Now that everything is settled, I will give you time to pack your stuff. Your horse are by now ready and are located at the back of the building, where you will escape. Is it clear for everyone?"