| 14 | Comet

Night fell by the time Town Square filled with the locals of Mystic Falls, gathered together in the grass to watch the comet high in the sky once it passed over. A light breeze swept through the open area with a perfect temperature for the night's events.

Strings of lights wove throughout the trees on the outskirts of the square provided a dim atmosphere with the aid of the street lamps. The entire scenery created a lovely ambience, perfectly crafted with the help of a perky, fiery blonde.

Caroline released Presley from her clutches shortly after she finished suggesting the best stores in the area to find a suitable dress for Founder's Day with occasional passive-aggressive jabs about how not doing the pageant would potentially jeopardize their friendship.

Presley ventured off on her own to keep her emotions in check while she searched for the white candles being handed out. She graciously accepted an unlit candle from a kind man in his late forties she had seen at the Grill a few times.

She bobbed her head at the man with gratitude before he turned to someone else. Her ocean blue eyes danced over the crowd of people and searched for her friends in the mass.

A young girl skipped over to the vampire with her red pigtails bounced in the wind behind her. She stood on the toes of her pink sneakers and touched the wick of her lit candle against Presley's until it caught aflame.

"Thank you," Presley said with a warm smile.

"You're welcome!" She chirped in a kind voice.

The young girl whirled around as she jogged back to her parents, nearly blew out her own candle from the slight wind.

"That makes five people, Daddy! I'm beating you!"

A soft laugh flitted from Presley's lips as she watched the girl return to her father, eager to light more stranger's candles. The smile remained present on her face until it drastically fell when she turned around and came face-to-face with her brother.

"Hey," Stefan greeted her in a gentle tone.

The fleeting moment of happiness transformed into a blank expression followed by a sinking sensation of dread in the pit of her stomach. Her hand remained frozen when he touched their wicks against each other until his held a steady flame.

The sight of Stefan in front of Presley sent a wave of despair to her bones. Her attempts to avoid him at all costs failed. She knew it was impossible to hide from him forever, yet she had hoped luck would be on her side and she could enjoy the day without running into him.

She took a large step backward before she twisted around on the toes of her shoes, determined to find her friends instead of being in her younger brother's presence.

"You didn't come home last night," he called out, desperate to talk.

Presley rolled her eyes.

"You should be a detective with those observation skills," she responded in an overly sarcastic tone.

Her feet continued to carry her body away from him, refusing to look back at the sad look no doubt casted upon his face.

"Zach was worried about you."

A low scoff bubbled up from the back of her throat. She whirled around on the toes of her sneakers, nearly blew her candle out from the sharp movement. The flame dangerously danced on the wick.

"The lies just keep piling up, huh?" Presley asked as she approached him with a fiery look in her eyes. "You did it once and, now, you just can't seem to stop."