| 06 | Pillow

A soft breeze blew through Mystic Falls, once the sun set and brought darkness upon the small town. The cooler temperatures crept through the streets, greeting the visible skin of the townspeople until they pulled their jackets over their bodies or disappeared into their homes for the night. The nightlife in Downtown was rather normal on a weekday night, most people left their jobs already or cooked dinner for their families.

The quiet roar of the Audi's engine shut off when Presley parked in front of the Gilbert home. She tucked her keys in the small bag hung from her shoulder and walked up the pathway to the front porch, admiring the two-story home.

There was a sense of comfort that enveloped around the vampire when she hung around the house, something felt different to her than the boarding house, though she felt quite at home with Zach for the past five months.

She couldn't quite place her finger on the strange feeling she felt when under the Gilbert roof. Perhaps, the house reminded her of growing up with her own family over a hundred years ago and missed the nostalgic feeling.

She missed the days when she'd wake up in their home and peered out of her bedroom window in the morning to see her brothers playing in the front lawn. She missed the sweet and savory scents that wafted from the kitchen when Mother would start to cook— before she passed away. Those were the good times before everything fell apart.

Her knuckles lifted to the wooden door and knocked twice, momentarily forgetting about the doorbell to her left. The sound of the fridge door shutting followed by footsteps against the wooden floors drifted to her ears.

The door unlocked from the inside and casually swung open.

Jenna Sommers appeared on the other side of the front door, dressed in a pair of jeans and a blouse, with her right hand rested on the edge of the door. Her blonde head cocked to the side at the sight of Presley Salvator standing on her doorstep.

"Well, look at you," she greeted the young brunette, admiring the outfit she wore. "You always wear the clothes I wish I could still get away with."

Presley smiled at the thirty year old woman and nonchalantly grabbed the strap of her bag. "Who says you can't get away with them?"

A low, amused laugh flitted from Jenna's lips with a raise of her eyebrows. "I'm not in my twenties anymore," she informed her. "I can't get away with outfits like that now."

"You most certainly can," Presley countered with a slight frown. "You're thirty, Jenna, not sixty— and even then, you could still pull it off. You just need to have confidence and you can wear everything."

Jenna hummed in response. "I don't have the confidence, but I would wear that sweater with jeans, tucked in a bit."

Presley's eyes drifted down to the oversized sweater she wore. "Well, I'll be sure to bring it over the next time I come by and you can borrow it for as long as you want."

The hand on the door pushed it further open, granting the teenager access into the warm house. A smile crept on Presley's face at the offer. She prided herself on the ability to freely walk inside of her friend's homes without an invisible barrier blocking her entrance anymore.

She made sure to gain invitation to all of their homes after she befriended them, fearful there may ever come at time when she needed to be inside.

Her body hesitated at the entrance of the two-story home before she stepped through the threshold of the Gilbert home, feeling a sense of comfort wash over her entire being along with the warm air danced over her legs through the fishnets.

She whirled around before she reached the stairs in front of her and rested her palm on the beginning of the wooden railing. "I promised Jeremy I'd give him a ride to the party," Presley shared with their Aunt.