Chapter 1: Harsh Words

Han ye SAB tumhari wajah se hua hai.. Tum meri zindagi me aayi hi kyun! Main tumse mila hi kyun.. You are the biggest mistake of my life Khushi Kumari Gupta. I wish I had never met you!

The scathing words with which Arnav left their bedroom reverberates in the air making Khushi gasping for breath. Her feet taking her out to the poolside acting on their muscle memory as if to aid her to breathe. The same poolside where she found herself turning to every time she was feeling restless - when she was indecisive on her engagement, after finding out about Shyam's marriage with Anjali, her broken engagement, her helplessness with Babuji's condition, her fear of losing a parent again.. Unconsciously she had made this place her safe haven - was it because it was a bit secluded from the rest of the chirpiness of the Shantivan and gave her space to think or because of the burning yet calming presence of that person who dwells in these confines and seems to offer her the strength and reliability she didn't know she needed.

KAASH MAI TUMSE KABHI MILA HI NHI HOTA.. Khushi collapses on the pool edge : alone, bereft, shocked, numb. Her tears come unbridled as they blur more fonder memories of them at this place - the gentle gush of air in her eyes from his mouth when he tried to remove sand from them "ab theek hai?" , her nervous breaths as Arnav turns and touches her possessively to disentangle her from the Diwali lights "Khushi ulajh gyi", the concern in his eyes when she twisted her ankle  on Diwali and his soothing touch "thoda dard hoga", replacing her lost payal by tying it back on her ankle almost reverently, their uncontrolled desire when they almost kissed on Diwali, the first feel of his lips on her cheeks "mai jo karunga..tum wo kar paogi?" and then her own unknown desire to fulfill the challenge and kissing him back..She had replayed his unexpected confession "Khushi I love you" countless times sitting on this vey poolside and now "YOU ARE THE BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE KHUSHI KUMARI GUPTA..."

Khushi felt her heart shattering into million pieces. "Kitni asaani se keh diya aapne ye Arnavji". The memories flashing by her eyes one by one as if erasing themselves on the wake of his words. She had never been sure of what's between them, more so now. "TUM MERI PATNI HO DUNIYA K LIYE.. IS KAMRE ME MAIN TUMHE APNI PATNI KA DARZA KABHI NHI DUNGA". Her inner voice coming back chiding her for falling for the facade once again that he so cunningly creates, behaving one way in front of the world and baring his true face once they are in private - spitting hurtful words with nonchalance. How easy it is for you to manipulate my heart. I should have been used to this by now. My heart should have learnt to protect itself by now. But why Devi maiyya.. every harsh word spoken by Arnavji feels like it's piercing my heart. Everytime.. my heart separates into two like the water separates itself when a careless rock is thrown in the ocean..mirroring the sinking feeling. How can I live with him now under the same roof knowing this is what he thinks of me..after everything!

Yes..THE CONTRACT!!
It's going to be expired soon. Bas kuch din aur.. then Arnavji will be free of me forever. He will not hurt himself anymore looking at me. Devi Maiyya.. "ab hum unhe aur chot nhi pahuncha sakte". If this is what he wants, I can at least give him that..make it easier for him to live peacefully few days early. "Arnavji our Anjali Di ka dard hum seh nahi sakte, tab jab uski wajah hum hain."

"Kyu kaha maine use ye sab", Arnav hastily breaks his car to a screech and makes a U-turn. He finds Khushi in bed and breathed a sigh of relief that she is still here. But that relief is short-lived as Khushi has already packed her bags and at the break of the dawn she is ready to leave Shantivan before Arnav wakes up. She joins Nani for quick pooja and tells her that she will spend some time with Buaji as she is alone and not feeling well. This will make it easier for Anjaliji also since her being here keeps reminding Anjali about the betrayal by Shyam. Nani contemplates this, smiles thinking how Khushi cares about everyone and decides that Khushi bitiya is right. This will be a change of scenery for her as well and she agrees.

Arnav wakes up and finds Khushi not on the bed or in the room. He looks for her everywhere and learns from Nani that she has gone to her Buaji for few days. He thinks back to his outburst last night. He rebukes himself again for saying those words to her. She is the only one that's keeping him sane these days, but why, why does he always take his anger out on her. It's high time he should stop this careless sputtering of words and stop hurting Khushi. He calls her up, she picks up on the third ring.

"Khushi tum mujhe bataye bina kaise ja sakti ho. Tumne ek baar bhi mere bare me nhi socha?"

(Khushi..how can you leave without telling me? Didn't you think about me just once?)

"Agar hum aapko batate to kya aap hume jane dete? Arnavji kuch din hum buaji k ghar rehna chahte hain. Tab tak aap Di ka khayal rakhiyega. Hum ye sab apake aur Anjaliji k liye hi kar rhe hain."

(If I would have told you would have let me go? I want to be with my aunt for few days. This will give some time to Anjaliji to adjust to the circumstances. Besides, I am doing this for you and Anjaliji. )

Arnav is adamant to stop her from leaving his side. He goes back to his only negotiation point.

"Khushi tum aise ye ghar chhod k nhi ja sakti. Tumhe kitni baar batana padega dammit. Tum contract ki shart bhool gyi? Janti nhi mai kya kar sakta hu? Akash mera kaha kabhi sahi taalta. Agar Payal ki marriage bachani hai to aaj shaam tak Shantivan aa jao. Otherwise you know the consequences."

(Khushi you can't just leave this house like that, how many times I need to tell you this. Did you forget about the conditions of the contract? Don't you know what I am capable of? If you want to save your sister's marriage, you better come back to Shantivan by evening today. Otherwise you very well know the consequences.)

Her heart breaking into the million pieces as she registers his words. Even though she left on account of the pending expiration of the contract it didn't occur to her that he will still use it to hurt her and negotiate his demands.

"Arnavji.. Akash Jijaji Payal jeeji ko bhot pyar karte hain. Wo aapki baat kabhi nahi maanenge. Wo bhi to aapke Bhai hain..aap unke Saat aisa kaise kar sakte hain? Waise bhi kuch dino me sab theek ho jayega". Saying that she cuts her call.

(Arnavji..Akashji loves my sister a lot. He will never agree to your conditions. Moreover, he is your brother too..how can you just do this to him? Anyways, everything will fall in place in few days.)

"WHAT THE.. how dare she cut his call? And why did it feel like she was being ambiguous and hiding something. Dammit I need her with me and main uske bina kaise.. Why does everything has to be so difficult". 

Arnav was going to the Gupta House when he overhears NK teasing Akash and Payal about their upcoming 6-month anniversary. Spotting Arnav, NK extends this statement to him as well. Realization hits Arnav kuch dino me sab theek ho jayega. "Oh no no no...I can't let you go Khushi. So this is what you plan to do Mrs Khushi Kumari Gupta Singh Raizada! Tumhe kya lga tum chup chap meri zindagi se chali jaogi aur mujhe pata bhi nhi chalega. But this time I will make you mine and not for just 6 months. Plan achha tha tumhara.. but I am Arnav Singh Raizada."

"I WILL WIN YOU BACK!!"