chapter one. the student council

"(Y-Y/N-SAN!)"

"e-eh?" you turned your head calmly, scanning the halls.

"(y/...n)..." the voice panted, a small girl with pink hair bearing it. she bent over a bit to catch her breath before resuming her jog towards you.

a normal person would be surprised at her sudden shout. however, you had grown accustomed to the cute, pink-haired girl looking up to you. she called your name whenever she needed assistance with her few student council duties and approached you for schoolwork, life advice, and nearly everything in-between. you were not bothered by this at the slightest and took pride in the fact that she felt she could consult you more often than sakura.

and, despite her being a third year like yourself, remi made you feel like you were a senpai!

you supposed the only thing you did mind was the fact that, after befriending you, you realized that you started taking on her responsibilities. they called her more of a mascot than a member of the student council, a good one at that. she was cute and attractive with an admirable personality (one you'd look for in a "perfect" girlfriend)... but less-admirable academic ability.

you found yourself with double the extracurricular work, more than you had signed up for even being student council vice-president.

"remi-chan?" her eyes brightened a bit at the sound of her name. "are you alright?"

"y-yes!" she said, a bit loudly. you stepped back and laughed breathily, knowing exactly what to ask next. remi was in a slight bow, blushing rather furiously. you took a second to admire how, even at such a flustered state, she seemed to keep a representative-like form.

"what do you need? did you lose anything? low marks? extracurricular help? friend drama?" you smiled lightly while rummaging through one of the cardboard boxes she handed you, filled with files and miscellaneous papers.

"erm..." she murmured to herself quietly and fidgeted a bit, flushed. you raised your head to make eye contact as this was something relatively unexpected from such a bubbly, straightforward girl. ayasaki's bright pink pigtails bounced lightly.

if it isn't anything i mentioned earlier... you glanced at her anxious, flustered expression. "could it be, perhaps... love advice?"

"HUHH?" she squealed and shook her head furiously, turning bright crimson. "n-no! i don't like- the one i like-"

remi babbled aimlessly until she heard the sound of footsteps approaching. you glanced at her curiously.

could remi like somebody?

a red head of hair bobbed around the corner.

sengoku.

both you and remi scrambled to keep composure to avoid his rare judgemental glances.

instead, he just squinted at the box of papers curiously and, without a greeting, started on again about student council work. sometimes you wondered if there was any way to have a normal, everyday conversation with him.

he didn't seem like the social type. kakeru was the type that you couldn't imagine casually. you genuinely wanted to see that side of him. all you knew was (from a third year in the next class over) that he was a feminine-like wimp that can't defend himself against the girl's tiny self's punches.

you have yet to know what she meant by that.

"sorry i haven't been around as much lately, i've had to visit classrooms, and i couldn't check in.." he rubbed the nape of his neck. you noticed his clothes were unusually bulky as he moved stiffly. you brushed it off and averted your attention to the box.

"a-ah, pres! just in time, can you look over these papers? i don't even know what they're for... i did a lot today and i'm a bit occupied by another matter..." you said, half paying attention to keep your stray thoughts in line. he nodded attentively and smiled lightly. you suddenly thought about remi, and asked again what she needed. "if it isn't that, what's wrong?"

"... nevermind. it's nothing." remi said this a bit sourly, pouting lightly.

you raised your eyebrows with skepticism but left it at that. she'd tell you when she's ready.

the break bell rang and signified the passing period.

"okay, then, i'll see you two later. i'm gonna get to class a bit earlier," you said with a tired smile, turning your back to the two.

as you walked through the halls, you couldn't help but feel the urge to cover your ears. you had been used to having unnecessary attention on you. you had expected this, since katagiri thought highly of successful students.

you, unfortunately, were one of them.

high marks and above average looks, you were one of the admired members of the top of your school's social pyramid. this had its ups and downs.

one of the advantages of having what you would call 'superficial popularity,' was that you were never alone. people were never afraid to say hi, ask how you were, sit with you at lunch, request tutoring...

one of the many disadvantages in your eyes, however, brings you to the term, 'superficial popularity.' the population automatically sees or wishes to see successful people as perfect, without even knowing who they really are.

they put mounds and mounds of pressure onto an especially sparkly rock, expecting a diamond before even checking if it were coal.

you were far from perfect, but you needed to keep up the front in order to give them something to expect from you. this was exhausting, but without it, everything you had built would crumble.

you knew how easily your popularity could dull along with your status.

but you never knew that could all change from a stupid rumor.

"president sengoku likes vice-president (l/n)."

and, with that...

your third and final year at katagiri high school took a nosedive into a pit of boiling magma.