hide and seek

"17...18...19...20!"

kaz whips around and immediately begins scanning the living room for his 3 year old daughter.

"ready or not, here i come."

he gets lower, hunching his back as he looks around intensely. his wife, inej, sits in a love seat reading her book. the fireplace roaring beside her.

kaz tiptoes over to the drapes that cover the 2, 6 foot tall glass windows. he hesitates for a moment before pulling the drapes open.

"and i've... got you!"

his eager smile fades quickly once he realizes that his daughter is in fact, not there. he hears chuckling from nearby and turns to see his wife, still deep in her book, but trying to contain a smile with her spare hand.

he lets the drape fall loose as he decides to check more areas.

he checks behind the desk, sofas, chairs, blankets, every nook and cranny the grand living
room contained.

by the end, kaz is sweating, and the joy has departed from his face. he begins pulling out his hair.

"what's wrong, my love?"

inej asks with a mischievous grin spread across her lips. she closes her book and uncrosses her legs. she diverts her full attention to her obviously stressed husband.

"i-i- i cant find her anywhere! i've looked under things, over things, IN things! there's nowhere i haven't looked!"

he spins in circles, drastically looking for his missing daughter.

kaz expects the same reaction from his wife, but when she starts laughing, he stops abruptly to look at her in bewilderment.

"have you lost your fucking mind? jordie is MISSING! our 3 year old daughter is MISSING!"

inej laughter stops. she stand quickly, throwing her book to the side.

"HEY. watch your language. i will never permit that kind of behaviour or language under this roof."

she points her finger aggressively at kaz as he flushes a bright shade of red, embarrassed of his fault.

"you're right. you're right. i am utterly sorry. it's just, i have no idea where she has gone and i -"

his speech was cut off as his daughter falls directly on top of him, tackling him to the ground.

inej bursts into a fit of laughter at the sight of her squealing daughter on top of her very confused soulmate.

"wha-what. where did you- where did you come from?!"

kaz questions while sitting up. he pulls jordie into his lap to look at her more clearly. his daughter and her mother both in hysterical fits of laughter.

kaz looks at inej for some sort of guidance, but inej only looks up at the ceiling.

kaz sits confused, trying to put the peices together. until he finally figures it out.

"WAS SHE ON THE GODDAMN CEILING?!"

jordie squeals and laughs even harder than before, inej joining her.

kaz opens and closes his mouth many times, but he isn't able to form any words.

"i was on the fucking ceiling momma!"
jordie exclaims, throwing her arms into the air and almost hitting her dad in the process.

inejs laughter stops immediately as she looks her husband dead in the eye.

kaz slowly turns his head from his beaming daughter to his scolding wife. he stares at her so intently he could've sworn he saw steam coming out of her ears.
jordie looks from her mom and then back to her dad many times.

"what's wrong dadda?"

joride scans her dads face for answers, but she can't find any.

"kazzington brekker..."

jordie watches the colour drain from her fathers face.

"what does mamma mean? dadda what's going on-"

joride barley has time to finish her sentence until her dad has scooped her up and is running down the hallway. joride is too busy laughing to see the ice cold look coming from her mother as she chases them down the hall.

"KAZZINGTON BREKKER. YOU LITTLE DEMJIN. I SWEAR TO ALL SAINTS I AM GOING TO BE THE DEATH OF YOU."

kaz knows she isn't lying, so he runs as fast as his leg and a half can carry him.