kaz's birthday

the sun is shining in through the windows of crows club. it's early and the dregs are trying to keep as quiet as possible, on pain of inej's wrath. the wraith moves easily over the creaking floorboards, knowing precisely where to step. jesper was the first to meet her glare.

"what inej? don't look at me like that! i tripped, is a man not allowed to trip? he's sleeping anyways, there's no need for us to be this quiet. wha- OOMF."

"if i say be quiet, then be quiet fahay. i'll flay you myself if i have to," whispers inej.

the only response she recieves is a grumble from jesper about his head, and warnings of where he'll shove her shoe next.

"now," inej begins. "you all know the drill. we sneak in silently, i don't want him waking up before he's supposed to. nina can you snag his kane? i don't feel like having to bandage one of your broken wrists. okay let's go."

inej opens the door quietly, angling it so that it makes no sound. The dregs creep into kaz's room, silent as mice. they have a mission today and nothing will stand in the way of it.

"wylan!" inej whispers quickly. "you're going to knock over that stack of books! yes those ones. don't apologize just pull the curtains on my count. can someone light the candle? okay everything's ready. 3, 2, 1!"

kaz brekker awakes to the sound of the birthday song. but it's not a pleasant, as usually what would be associated with such a merry occasion. no it's choppy and several harmonies are out of tune... but it's being sung by the only group of people that he can tolerate, so he muses he can tolerate this as well.

he opens his eyes to see the dregs dancing around his bed. wylan has just flung open the curtains and appears to be teaching jesper an irish jig. nina is singing loud and clearly, but she is not very good and very much sounds like a chicken squawking. matthias is mumbling along, barely loud enough to be heard.

and then there's inej. her voice shines above all of the others, something kaz thinks is only worthy of angels. and she's looking right at him, beautiful as ever as the sunshine falls on her kind face.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR KAZZIGNTON, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUUU!"

"happy birthday kaz," she mouthes to him with a smile. he can feel himself smiling back.

"okay folks everyone move! i'm the most important person here with the most important job so make way. make way," nina says.

her and matthias bring forth a nearly 15 stacked waffle cake and bask in it's glory.

"it's beautiful isn't it?" nina asks. "wylan stayed up all night baking it for you."

a quick glance in the redhead's direction would confirm a blush on his cheeks. kaz sends a quick nod of thanks his way.

"what's all this?" kaz grumbles. "why did you tell them it was my birthday today! it was supposed to be a secret."

"everyone deserves to spend their birthday with the people they love," inej says simply. "plus ever since i mentioned it they have all been bugging me to help celebrate with you and now here we are."

"yeah but a waffle cake? i don't even like waffles!" kaz says. more like whines. who knew kaz brekker could whine?

a loud gasp is heard throughout the bedroom. "pardon me. did you just dare say you DON'T LIKE WAFFLES?"

"no nina, i know it is a suprise but not all of us love waffles as much as you love matthias." kaz says.

"this is unacceptable!" nina exlaims. "we certaintly cannot let this waffle cake go to waste... i'll even eat it myself if it comes to it!"

"be my guest, say it's the birthday cheer. my gift to you."

that is all that was needed to be said for nina to begin shovelling waffles into her mouth. jesper begins to help, followed by wylan who is eager to please. soon the entire cake is gone and the three collapse to the floor in mocked pain.

"i'll never eat again!" exclaims jesper.

"never ever EVER," wylan adds.

"oh i'll eat again, just not for a very long time. i heard dinner is to be good tonight," says nina.

the three collapse into a fit of giggles, before groaning that their full stomachs cannot allow it. 

matthias picks nina up from the floor. "come on, let's not bother kaz anymore."

"happy birthday satan," matthias simply says to kaz. "to many more years of torturing Ketterdam and stealing from men's pockets."

"to kaz!" A cheer goes along throughout the dregs.

with help from matthias, and with jesper leaning on Kaz's stolen cane, something he will get a kick for later, the four quickly remove themselves from the room.

shaking his head, kaz promptly flops back on the bed, and turns to stare at inej. she hadn't left the room with the others, and was found leaning against his window, still bathed in the morning glow.

inej speaks first. "you're 18 today kaz. how do you feel?"

kaz shrugs. no different then he felt the day before, or the day before that. now finally an adult, he feels no sense of loss for his childhood as most people would have. he had to grow up a long time before this.

"no different," he says. "just tired and a little sore. nothing a few minutes stretching won't fix."

she's looking at him perplexed, with that damned sunlight making her look that much more beautiful. he's getting flustered. 

"why are you looking at me like that?" kaz demands. 

"no reason," she says as she begins to dance her way out of the room. "just, happy birthday kazzignton." her smirk is so quick and she is quicker as she laughs and runs to avoid the pillow being thrown at her head.