i

They were losing the battle. Lisa could clearly recognize this as her eyes surveyed the field around her through her telescope. From where her horse stood she could see most of the action. A bitter taste filled her mouth as her gaze settled on a figure across the field.

“That bitch has a good strategy today,” Lisa muttered to herself.

Jennie Kim, princess of the Kingdom of Lyon and chief of their army, was perched on her horse probably watching the fighting with a smirk. Lisa had only ever seen the other girl up close once, but after the countless battles they’d fought against each other there was a sense of familiarity to her foe that filled Lisa with a bitter sensation.

“Lalisa!”

Her irritation was cut off by her brother Jungkook who quickly approach her on horseback. The distressed look on his face filled Lisa with dread. Jungkook’s weakness had always been his inability to control his emotions in the middle of battle, and the fact that instead of angry, he looked downright scared was troubling.

“We’ve lost almost all of the cavalry,” he told her frantically.

Lisa nodded. She knew what she had to do now, even if it filled her with a sickening humiliation. She hated the feeling of losing. She was disappointing her mother, the queen of Niva, and failing the soldiers that had pledged their lives to her.

“We’re going to retreat,” she announced.

Her brother nodded before departing to inform the still fighting soldiers.

Lisa tried to ignore the pit in her gut. She reminded herself that she had won the last two battles against the Lyonese army. This was nothing. They needed to regroup and come up with a better strategy for the next fight. Dwelling on the loss here was not going to do her or her kingdom any good.

It was only when Lisa returned home to the castle that she learned the next fight was not going to happen.

It was normal for her mother, to call her into the throne room when she returned from a battle. Lisa had dealt with the formalities of being royalty all her life, but that didn’t lessen the sting of anticipation as she approached her mother. She never liked delivering bad news to her.

“Mother,” Lisa kneeled before the woman who had raised her. This was customary, even if someday she would be the one sitting on the throne.

“Lalisa, please rise.” Her mother almost always had a warmth to her voice. There was a gentleness to her that hid the immense power and responsibly resting on her shoulders. Lisa had not inherited this from her.

As she stood, Lisa was prepared to apologize and ask for her queen’s forgiveness for the lost battle. Before she could even open her mouth, her mother silenced her with a soft gesture. She then informed her that she was going to open negotiations with the king of Kingdom Lyon to make peace. The decision had been made during Lisa’s journey home from the battlefield. The Lyonese nobles were already on their way to castle to begin the settlement and expected to arrive in a few days’ time.

Lisa was at a loss for words. Part of her wanted to sink into the relief of the idea of the war ending, and the lives of her soldiers no longer being at risk. However, Lisa was too wise to be optimistic. There was every possibility that these meetings would not solve anything, and the chance of peace would only diminish.

“Should I prepare for the negotiations?” She asked her mother. If there was any chance to lay their weapons down, Lisa was ready to fight for it.

“No,” her mother pursed her lips. “I’m afraid our meetings will only be held with myself, the King, and a very select few nobles.”