Prolougue

The wind sang in soft whispers as a soft melody played through the forest, birds chirping as they flew over a lush clearing.

Two tents, one a beautiful white and the other a soft tan, sat in the middle, white and gold flag on top of both tents, moving in the soft breeze, the DunBroch symbol resting in the middle.

"Where are you?" A playful voice calls, a woman with deep brown hair past her waist and a purple dress being the owner. Queen Elinor of the DunBroch clan.

There was a smile on her face as she walked around several tables, peeking under a few. "Come out! Come out! Come on out! I'm coming to get you!"

Beneath a nearby table, two young girls cover their mouths to stifle their giggling. One with bright orange hair and sky blue eyes, the other with (h/c) hair and happy (e/c) eyes. Merida and (Y/N)

"Where are you little rascals? I'm coming to get you!" Queen Elinor called, hearing the two girls giggling. Merida, noticing her mother's presence, quickly grabbed (Y/N)'s hand and moved out from the table, over to another just as Elinor peered under the table with a laugh.

"Hmm." She thought aloud, sensing the presence of the two girls behind her. "Where are the two lasses, I wonder. I'm going to gobble 'em up when I find them!"

Not very sneakily, (Y/N) and Merida crawled out from behind the shield and attempted to sneak up and spook Elinor, only for the Queen to turn quickly, causing the two girls to jump.

Laughing, (Y/N) grabbed Merida's hand and attempted to escape, only for them both to be snatched up in Elinor's arms, squealing as she tickled them. "I'm going to eat you!"

As the two girls giggled, Elinor laughed as she pretended to eat them, pulling them back each time they attempted to escape. Her gaze moved away, however, once her husband set his bow on the table.

"Ach! Fergus," She began, releasing the two girls. "no weapons on the table!"

Excited, Merida ran to the table, (Y/N) laughing as she followed behind. "Can we shoot an arrow?" She asks, pulling the bow off the table and dragging it away from her parents. "Can we? Can we? Can we? Can we? Please, can we?"

(Y/N) couldn't help but giggle as Merida fell, running over and helping raise the bow again. "Can we?" She asked, tilting her head.

Just then, (F/N) walked over, holding something behind his back as well, unknown to the two girls. "Not with that." He chuckled, causing (Y/N) to gasp and smile at his presence.

"Why not use your very own?" Fergus asked, smiling as he pulled out a bow from behind his back, showing it off to Merida. "Happy Birthday, wee lass."

Merida smiled, before looking to (Y/N) tilting her head. "What about (N/N)?" She asked, looking to Furgus.

"Don't you worry, lass." (F/N) comforted, pulling out the other bow from behind him. Both Merida and (Y/N) smiled widely, sharing an excited look as Elinor shook her head.

~ ~

Two targets were set up shortly after, several arrows littering the ground in front of both targets. Another arrow fired, hitting the ground in front of the target. (Y/N) sighed, lowering the bow slightly as she looked to Merida.

"It's alright, (N/N)," (F/N) comforted, patting her back. "You're beginning to get it."

(Y/N) nodded softly before looking at Merida, quiet as she aimed her arrow. "Now, there's a good girl." Fergus spoke, watching Merida. "Listen. Draw all the way back now to your cheek. That's right, keep both eyes open, and...boost."

The arrow fired, reaching above the target and flying into the forest, causing Merida to tilt her head. "I missed it."

"Why don't you two go and fetch it then?" Both children handed their bows off to Elinor, laughing as they raced into the woods. (F/N) moved to the targets to retrieve a few arrows as Elinor scoffed at Furgus.

"You two decided on bows? They're ladies!" Elinor exclaimed. Fergus smiled before playfully smacking Elinors behind, causing her to Yelp before smacking his chest as he laughed.

~ ~

In the woods, Merida and (Y/N) happily smiled as they raced to find Merida's arrow. The two split up, (Y/N) disappearing in one direction as Merida ran to another.

Merida hummed to herself as she searched for the missing arrow, smiling as she observed the beautiful forest, before gasping.

A beautiful, blue wisp stared at her from a path, calling for her to follow. "A Will O' the Wisp." She whispered, running towards the wisp. The wisp disappeared as she neared, others appearing in a trail of some sort. "They are real."

Merida barely hesitated to chase after the wisps, coming upon a small area where (Y/N) stood with the arrow in her hand. "There you are!" She exclaimed with a giggle, running over. "I found the arrow!"

"The wisps..." (Y/N) looked at her slightly confused, before turning at the sound of whispers. More wisps floated in another path, causing both girls to gasp with a smile.

"Come on!" Merida tugged (Y/N) along as they began to follow the wisps, unaware they were being watched by a threatening presence.

"Merida, (Y/N)! Come on, sweethearts, we're leaving now..." Following the wisps, the girls exited the forest, running to where Elinor and Fergus stood.

"We saw a wisp!" Both girls called, running breathless to the adults. "We saw a wisp."

"A wisp?" Elinor asked, smiling as she raised an eyebrow. "You know, some say that Will O' the Wisps lead you to your fate."

"It lead me back to (Y/N) and the arrow!" Merida exclaimed as Fergus laughed.

"Come on, let's be off. Before we see a dancing charging bubu or a giant..." As Fergus walked off, Elinor picked up the two girls holding them close as they began walking after Fergus.

"Your father doesn't believe in magic." Elinor explained, looking at both the girls.

"Well, he should," Merida began as (Y/N) looked away, her face contorting into fear. "Cause it's real."

Merida looked in the same direction as (Y/N) screaming in terror as (Y/N) finally had the ability to speak. "Bear!"

Elinor turned quickly, gasping as Mor'du stood over the three with a roar, causing Fergus and (F/N) to turn with a gasp.

"Mor'du! Elinor, run!" Fergus ran forwards, taking a spear (F/N) had tossed him as Elinor ran out of the way, taking the two girls with her.

Fergus charged at Mor'du, thrusting the spear towards him. Almost immediately, Mor'du swiped at the spear, breaking it in half.

(F/N) ran forward, pulling out his sword as other guards ran to help, Fergus pulling out his sword as well.

On top a horse, Elinor, Merida and (Y/N) escaped the clearing, both Merida and (Y/N) looking back at the bear and their fathers.

"Come on, you!" Fergus shouted, glaring up at Mor'du. Mor'du, almost antiganized, lundged forwards, submerging Fergus into darkness.

~ ~

Hope you enjoyed this first book, and I'm sorry if you aren't close to your father. It was the only thing I could think of, and if you don't like it, feel free to change it.

Thanks for reading!