~ Chapter 1 ~

~13 years later~

"Some say our destiny is tied to the land, as much a part of us as we are of it."

A beautiful castle stood in the distance, magnificent and intimidating.

"Others say fate is woven together like a cloth, so that one's destiny intertwines with many others."

Closer to the castle, a few birds fly by, chirping as they pass by a roof with several men on top.

"It's the one thing we search for, or fight to change. Some never find it. But there are some who are led."

On the roof, King Fergus shouted as he threw the men on top him off and towards the wall, focusing on the men around him.

"The story of how my father lost his leg to the demon bear, Mor'du, became legend."

One of the men's swords lodged itself in Fergus's peg leg, earning an angry glare.

Seconds later, he was sent flying into a weapons rack, groaning as several weapons fell on him.

"I became a sister to three new brothers, the princes."

A maid, Maudie, walks through the halls with a plate of pasitries. As she walks, the cakes seem to disappear, causing Maudie to stop.

"Hamish, Hubert and Harris. Wee devils more like."

Two of the boy, Huber and Harris, run around Maudie, distracting her as Hamish runs up and snatches the plate of cakes, replacing it with a flower pot.

Maudie chases after the three princes, scoffing as they catapult themselves out of the castle and into a nearby bale of hay, high-fiving as they dig into their new treats.

"They get away with murder! I can never get away with anything!"

In another part of the castle, two doors open to reveal a red-headed teenager just then biting into an apple, stopping once she realized everyone inside the throne room was watching her.

Merida.

"I'm the princess. I'm the example."

Her eyes moved over to where her throne would be, locking eyes with a familiar pair of (E/C) orbs.

"(Y/N) moved in with us after her father got sick and passed. Now she's my 'lady in waiting' according to my mother."

(Y/N) struggled to contain a laugh, causing Merida's face to flush before taking a bite of the apple and throwing it behind her.

Bagpipes began to play as she sauntered over to the rest of the DunBrochs, the crowd bowing as Elinor tried coaching her, although Merida didn't listen.

"I've got duties, responsibilities, expectations. My whole life is planned out, until the day I become, well, my mother."

Merida collapsed in her seat, (Y/N) standing besides her with a smile and shake of her head. Elinor looked over to the girls, Merida rolling her eyes as she attempted to get her to sit up straight, annoyed.

"She's in charge of every single day of my life."

~ ~

"A Robyn, jolly Robyn, and thou shalt knowe of myn." (Y/N) winced at Merida's monotone voice, knowing that it Elinor was just going to nitpick it.

"Project!" Elinor shouted from above, circling the two girls.

"And thou shalt knowe of myn..." Merida shouted, cut off by Elinor.