chapter 21

The funny thing- well, sort of funny, but no one was really laughing- is that Louis seemed to be taking The Thomas Situation as badly as Harry was. At least Harry had someone to talk to about it, someone who was his rock. Louis loved being that for Harry, but the problem was that Harry couldn’t reciprocate.

Which wasn’t his fault- Louis just stubbornly refused to allow any of his negative feelings to show through for Harry to see.

And there were negative feelings galore spinning around in Louis’ strange little mind. There was worry that Thomas would hurt Harry, and anger that he dared to show his face again after what he did. There was fear, even, because Harry was the love of Louis’ life and he was hanging out dangerously close to a loose canon.

And -not that you could get Louis to admit it, but- there might have been a little jealousy.

It was completely stupid. Like, insanely stupid. Somewhere up in his head Louis knows that Harry has feelings for him, strong ones, and that Harry knows how bad Thomas was for him. Jealousy shouldn’t be an issue, because there’s nothing to worry about.

But it may or may not be one of the reasons that Louis rearranges his work schedule a little so that he’s always off in time to ‘pick up’ Harry after his management class.

It’s either really impressive or really sad, the way that Louis can instantly pick out Harry in the crowd of people spilling from the front entrance of the building. He doesn’t have to wear bright colors to stand out to Louis. That silhouette, that walk, that everything is as familiar to him as his own face.

Today, though, there’s another familiar frame walking close to his, an arm slung around Harry’s shoulders. It’s Thomas, as bright and confident as Harry is shrinking and nervous. Thomas must be telling some story, because the hand that isn’t cupping Harry’s shoulder is gesturing wildly in the air, and when he guffaws wildly it prompts a weak chuckle from Harry.

The whole scene kind of makes Louis nauseous.

So nauseous that he really can’t be blamed for grabbing Harry by the waist as soon as he’s within arm’s reach. “Hey, babe,” he says sweetly. “Thomas,” he adds without a trace of sugar.

“Hi Louis,” Harry says happily, body already relaxing in relief. He hasn’t said it out loud, exactly, but Louis knows he’s glad to be met at the door. Thomas puts him on edge. Louis brings him back down.

Thomas has ignored the exchange, continuing on with his story like he’s still just talking to Harry and only sparing an irritated glance for Louis. His desire for Louis to just disappear off the planet is adamantly mutual, which Louis demonstrates by putting one hand on the back of Harry’s neck, one hand on his hip, and pulling their mouths together in a warm kiss.

At first Harry’s stiff with surprise, both at the suddenness of it and the way that this kiss is far too deep for a public place. Louis’ sighing into his mouth and holding him close like how they usually only do behind closed doors. But then, as he always does, Harry melts into it with a quiet little exhale of satisfaction because damn if Louis isn’t perfect.

“Excuse me,” Thomas says, put out. Neither Harry nor Louis is paying him much attention, but if he’s addressing Louis it’s the first word he’s said to him since returning.

Louis doesn’t give a shit. “He’s busy,” he replies on Harry’s behalf, then nudges him until Harry’s back is against the wall and Louis’ whole body is pressed against him. The hand in Harry’s hair tugs a little, while the other slips down to cradle the curve of Harry’s bum. The kisses he takes are needy.