The Second Night

"I like the moon" Atsushi stated.

"Why?" Akutagawa asked.

"If the moon was a person, people would be scared of them."

"Them?"

"Who am I to decide the gender of the moon? It hold many secrets, and it has a lot of dirt on many people. You can't hide from the moon. Although it is mute and cannot express words, or anything at all, it knows."

"How do you think of such foolish thoughts, Jinko?"

"Hey! It is midnight, and I am tired!"

"Then go to sleep."

"As if, you'd kill me in my sleep, no hesitation."

"If that's what you think."

_____________

Tonight was their second night on that rooftop, and these were the types of conversations they were having.

This was the only time Atsushi could express his midnight thoughts out loud, without thinking. Akutagawa wasn't much of a talker, so he listened to what Atsushi had to say and enjoyed his nonsense. Although, for most of the night they stayed silent, and stared into the sky, with it's twinkling stars.

Atsushi was friends with the moon.
During his time at the orphanage, he stared into the sky, looking at the full moon and telling it everything that he felt, and all his secrets that nobody wanted to hear. Sometimes, Atsushi wandered if he was being a burden to the moon, telling them his problems and worries, as if it were a therapist, but then he remembered that the moon is an inanimate object and even if it didn't want to listen, it would be forced to put up with Atsushi's bullshit anyways.

He told Akutagawa this. He didn't know why, but it just felt right.

"I used to do the same" Akutagawa said, after a lifetime of silence.

"What?" Atsushi asked, surprised.

"Living in the slums had it's ups and downs, Jinko. If there wasn't enough of something, it would be my duty to get it, as the oldest one there, and sometimes, I did not know what to do."

"That's a great responsibility, taking care of friends that feel like family". Atsushi added, quietly.

"Yes, but then they were killed... and.. never mind". Akutagawa said sounding sadder than usual, as if his true emotions were showing.

"Oh," Atsushi didn't know what to say, so he looked to his side, to search Akutagawa's face for clues on what to do next, but his face was as expressionless as always.

"It's fine now".

"Good". Atsushi felt happier, hearing that Akutagawa was over that.

Soon, it was reaching the early hours of the morning and Akutagawa and Atsushi had to go back to their homes, to try and get some sleep.

They looked forward to their next encounter, hoping it will be just as relaxing as this one.

_____________

A/N: Hiiii!!! This fic is inspired by my own midnight thoughts, and then my writing just takes over, so the next chapter will be posted when I get another midnight thought like this one. :)