Rule

My anxious feeling grew as we got closer to the Kings study. "Sit down Eluriel," Elrond instructed and I did what I was told. "What is the reason you summoned me here?" I furrowed my brows at them. "We received a message from the Lady Galadriel, it is the oronnad (birthday)of Lord Celeborn and Thranduil and I were invited. We decided only I go, as Rivendell is already without leader. Thranduil shall help you ruling Rivendell from here, so he can continue to rule his realm," my brother told me. Oh no, I have to stay with this moron?

"Guess you're stuck with me my Lady," Thranduil smirked. "Is there really no other way, why can't you both go and Legolas rules?" I asked desperately. "My son is not a ruler, he has yet to come of age. He also isn't married." "Neither are you," I said. "Careful now," he hissed. Then he turned to Elrond. "I will see you in a week, mellon nin." My brother nodded at him then hugged me and chuckled. "No harm will come to you here, I will be back soon enough." "Savo 'lass a lalaith (have joy and laughter)and don't drink to much," I said. Then my brother was gone and I sighed.

"Now that he is gone, peditham hi sui vellyn?( May we speak as friends)?" Thranduil asked. "We can try, mellon," I sighed again and went for the door.

"Ollo vae Eluriel (Sweet dreams Eluriel)." I bowed slightly and left.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I gasped when I awoke from another nightmare of my past. I tried to controll my breathing as I laid drenched in sweat on my tossed sheets. Realizing I wouldn't be able to get any sleep I threw a cloak over my shoulders and opened my door.

The halls of the Woodland palace were dead quiet, the only thing you could hear were distant steps of some guards. I tried to remember the way to the stables like Legolas had shown me. After a few turns I heard the neighing and chewing sounds of the horses. When I entered the stables something caught my eye. In the first box on the right, stood a massive elk. It looked beautiful and dangerous at the same time. I didn't have to ask, to know it was Thranduils mount. I stepped carefully closer when it eyed me warily.

"Hello boy," I murmured softly. The elks gaze seemed to soften at my words and he nuzzled his hand into my outstreched palm. I smiled gently and continued to pet the massive animal.

After a while I turned away and left the stables. The sky indicated that amrûn (sunrise) was near, so I was quick to get back to my room, not wanting to get caught. I knew I would be tired for the rest of the day but the acquaintance with Thranduils elk was totally worth it. I tried to go back to sleep but I was only in a slight daze when Erwyn came in to wake me up.

"A Eluriel (hello), how did you sleep?" she said with her back facing me as she prepared my things. When she turned to look at me, her eyes widened slightly and I knew I had dark circles under my eyes. "Man agorel? (What did you do), do you need me to inform the Lord Elrond?" she inquired. "No, that won't be necessary Erwyn. I just have a lack of sleep, do not worry," I smiled, trying to convince her. By her stare I knew she didn't buy it but she let the topic slide for now. "Come now, the King is already waiting," she ushered me towards the dining hall, after she helped me into a light, flowing yellow dress.

The guards opened the door and the King looked up. He took my state in with a slight frown but chose not to comment it. I bowed my head and said with maybe a bit of mock in my voice, "Good morning my King, you look radiant again this morrow." He glared at me and gestured for me to sit. We were alone, I didn't know where Tauriel and Legolas were. After a while he spoke up, "So I thought-." I interrupted him quite rudely, "You can think? Did it hurt your brain?" His eyes turned to small slits when he heard my insult. "I'm warning you Eluriel". I rolled my eyes at his lack of humor and mumbled a small 'continue' at him. "So I was thinking we could meet before lunch in my study and discuss a few things about plans for our realms as your brother is not present. But given your state I doubt you will be able to do anything today." Now it was my turn to glare at him. "I'm perfectly capable of discussing the well-being of our realms with you," not caring if he dismissed me I stood up, making the chair screech and walked out, my hair flowing behind me.

Once I was far enough from the hall I made my way over to the library to gather some of the books I left there. I was so preoccupied with a book over the history of us Eldars (elves) that I didn't notice Tauriel sneaking up on me and scaring the hell out of me. "Pe-channas Tauriel!" I cursed. She burst out in laughter and I had to smile, too. "What is it that you require, mellon ?" I asked her once she had calmed down. "The King sent me to retrieve you, he was very impatient and according to him you forgot an important meeting with him. Care to tell me what it is about?" she smirked at me. I slapped her lightly and cursed again for my lack of memory, surely it was connected to my insomnia.

"It is not like that, we only wanted to share our thoughts about the ruling hence the absence of my brother," I explained while we were walking towards the Kings study. Tauriel bowed shortly, as the door was guarded and she was a lower rank than me, then she left. I took a deep breath and regained my confidence, then I knocked on the wooden door. "Come in," his monotone voice called and the guards opened the door for me. I stepped in and he eyed me with an already annoyed expression.

"You're late," he remarked. "Iston, goheno nin (I know, I'm sorry)," I said sincerely. He only sighed and gestured me to sit across from him. As soon as I sat down he began speaking, "As you know spiders roam my woods freely, eventhough my guard tries to hold them off as good as they can. I was thinking about going for a big hunt, to end this problem for once and all." I raised my eyebrow at that. "And what would I do to help you?" I asked him, I wouldn't help him as he probably wanted me to, when I didn't get something in return. "Your brother told me of the lack of horses Rivendell has, after giving them to some of your guests. As luck would have it, the King of Rohan, Theoden, owes me a debt. I am willing to claim this debt and give you the horses in return for your help in hunting the spiders."

It seemed like a good offer but I wasn't going to accept it that fast. "And what about the possible bloodshed of my people when we fight? Horses don't bring them back to life." Thranduil looked at me and in his eyes flashed something closely to respect at my thinking. "It won't bring them back but you should consider my offer. I am expecting your answer until tomorrow for breakfast. Now we shall come to some of the financials." He continued to talk and I zoned out, the lack of sleep was really coming back. I didn't hear that Thranduil was asking something of me until he snapped his fingers impatiently in front of me.

"Are you listening to me Eluriel?" "Yes, forgive me mellon ," I said and tried to focus again but I soon zoned back out. "Eluriel?" I heard him ask after a while. "I think your idea is great my lord," I said, hoping it was the right answer. He smirked at me, "I just asked you if you wanted to get drunk and jump into a lake, I'm surprised you think my idea is great." When I sighed his gaze turned soft. "You're tired Eluriel, if you want me to I can finish this stuff alone, your brother will understand it. You may leave." "Guren glassui (thank you from my heart)," I said and left. I stumbled down the halls desperately to find some sleep. Thranduil and I must have missed lunch, the sun showed me it was late afternoon. Surely no one would miss me at dinner, so I slipped out of my dress and welcomed the darkness with open arms.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Legolas sat at the dinner table, quietly eating with his father. "Where is Lady Eluriel?" His father looked at him like he snapped him out of a trance. "I dismissed her early from our meeting, she seemed very tired and couldn't quite follow my thoughts." The eyebrows of his son rose at that unexpected answer, he knew from personal experience that the King could torture people with his long meetings and no one was easily dismissed from them. "You changed, ada," he noted. Now it was Thranduils turn to furrow his eyebrows at his son," What do you mean, ionneg?" Legolas smiled brightly at him, "You've changed ada, I am not saying it was Eluriels presence, but you've grown softer." The shock in the Kings eyes was clear to see and Legolas suppressed a chuckle. "Û (No)! You speak nonsense ion nin," Thranduil said but his voice wasn't strong. Legolas only smirked at him and continued eating.

Word count : 1646