Chapter 2

Salina

"Are you an idiot or a dumbass?" He asked rhetorically.

I cleared my throat to answer. "Joke's on you that is a redundant sente-"

"I'll give you a sentence. Would you rather, die right now or get hit by that car earlier?" He cut me off.

I paused to think of my options carefully.  "Wait what do you mean? I'd rather not die at all-"

"Time's up. I choose... right now." He

As we approach his house I wave him bye as did he. I turned around to start walking to my house. I looked up at the light pink and lilac sky. The clouds looked like the lanterns from Tangled. These are the moments I wish I could just stare at the sky and talk about random things with someone. It was a lovely afternoon.

"Too bad I have to go home already." I sighed.

I didn't want to go home. It felt like a prison. I just wanted to stay in school where it felt like home. It felt like I had people I could talk to. Unlike here at my house, everyone judges my every move. It feels so lonely in here.

The life I have consisted of either going to school or avoiding my family at home. I think you can tell already how I lead a boring life. Why do I not want to stay with my family you ask? Simple. I've made mistakes in the past. The trauma brought upon me and my parents has scarred us. The great relationship I had with my father was slowly sinking into an abyss. I tend to avoid them to avoid conflict. Since I'm considered the disappointment of this family.

"Hey, I'm home," I mumbled for anyone to hear as I opened the grey door. My mom and brother shouted a "Hi."

I head straight to the dining room and dropped my bag. I'm extremely exhausted today but sadly I have a date with homework.

Time flies by and it was nighttime. It was slowly getting colder around these parts at night. Probably because it's the middle of September. The days counting down to Christmas were exciting for me. I mean who doesn't love Christmas?

Ugh, the food we would have. Delicious.

My mother called me to have dinner with them in the other room since it was night already. I grabbed some dishes and utensils to help them. The atmosphere feels a bit light today. I hope I can make it out here okay. We sat down, said our thanks, and dug in. The table was surrounded by buttered corn and carrots, fried chicken, and our plates of rice. This dinner is positively delicious.

"So how was school, Sally?" My mother asked after clearing her throat.

I froze. A little wave of nervousness washed over me. "It was okay." I smiled at my mother and shoved food in my mouth.

Hopefully, my answer would satisfy them enough.

She nodded her head while I breathe a small sigh of relief. Her eyes trailed over to my brother who had his cheeks puffed with so much food in his mouth. "And you Ryle?" she asked my brother.

Ryle Anders. My supposedly angelic little brother. A smart yet lazy 9-year-old with the power to piss anyone off to their ultimate death. He can be a sweetie at the rarest of times but mostly, he's an asshat. And he's a kid at that so what can I do? Nevertheless, I do find it in my heart to care for him but don't tell him that.

My brother struggled to swallow the food in his mouth before answering, "It was okay too Mom." He then continued to talk about his day with his classmates and someone named Andrew.

This dinner is peaceful tonight, that's odd.

"How are your grades Salina?" my father disturbed the peaceful atmosphere.

I may have spoken too soon.

I mentally sighed and prepared myself for the worst. "It's...stable Dad," I answered as politely as I could.

"What do you mean it's stable?" He pressed on. I didn't know what to tell my father with his high expectations of me. My mother and father were one of the most intelligent people at their schools. They were "cool" too. With all the guys and girls they had at their feet and their immense talent at music and art.

Did all their talent and intelligence just disappear and didn't transfer to any of my blood? Or I could be adopted. I wondered.

"Most of my grades are around 70-80 Dad," I muttered under my breath. Might as well get this over with.

"Speak louder and open your mouth Salina," Father instructed.

You see father dearest I would but I know what your reaction will be so I lowered my voice on purpose.

I cleared my throat and breathed in. "I got a 70 on Math, History, and Filipino while I got around 80+ on English, Science, Music, Arts, PE, and Health Dad."

"What!?" He shouted.

And, there it is.

"Your grades should be at 90 and above! That's what I and your mother always got! What number are you in class?!" He asked loudly.

To say I wasn't scared would be an understatement. I was used to this treatment but I deserve it I guess.

I hesitated before answering. "I... don't...know..." I said quietly.

"LOUDER!" My father screamed as he stood up from his chair.

"I SAID I DON'T KNOW," I screamed back.

My eyes widened like saucers as I realize what I had done. But it was too late to regret my decision now. I took a glance at my brother and he had a worried look on his face while my mother had a disappointed look on hers.

I didn't even notice that father was about to slap my face.

SMACK. The whole room echoed with that sound.

"You have some nerve talking back to me like that. How dare you talk back to your father like that?! I did not raise you to be this stupid and rude. You should be at the top of your class! Your school's classes are easier than what I and your mother had to endure! " I lowered my head. I deserved that.

But part of me wanted to stare back angrily like what I used to do. Immature is what that would be but I hate how I get this treatment. I'm used to it but it doesn't mean I love it.

I finished my food as he sat back down. I muttered a little sorry as I picked up my dishes and left the room. I put them in the sink and washed them. While I was cleaning the dishes I think about the incident that just happened. It was smaller compared to the other incidents that happened.

So why do I feel like crying?

It's not like this was anything new but why do I feel so hurt? I didn't deserve to feel hurt when I did indeed fail them.

I took a shower after washing the dishes and studied in the dining room until they all fell asleep. At least now, no one's going to judge me.