found family | diaval

3.1k+ words; i am freakin in love with diaval he's WHOLESOME

///

The night had been long and restless. You paced around the mossy floor of the forest, watching the sky lighten over the trees. The creatures paced around you, waiting for a word from you, but you were at a loss. Aurora returned to the castle with a defeated spirit as you entered the Moors, the result of your search no better. 

Maleficent had still not been found. After the horrific night in the castle with the king and queen, you weren’t sure if she would ever come back. After the king had fallen dead on the floor, and the queen claimed that Maleficent had cursed him, you wanted so badly for Aurora to understand and see that Maleficent was innocent. But Aurora had fallen for the theatrics of the queen and believed that the king was cursed. What had happened, you weren’t sure, but you knew Maleficent was innocent. Deep down, you knew that. So did Diaval. But Aurora did not. 

It was hard not to be angry at Aurora. In fact, other than shaking your head when she asked if you had seen her, you did not respond to her. Betrayal was clear in your eyes when she looked at you. If she noticed, she did not say a word. 

“You’re back.” 

“Diaval.” You turned around as Diaval nervously stepped out of the dark wood. Lifting your light purple skirt off the grass, you crossed the soft ground to him and silently pulled him into an embrace.

“I’m afraid she won’t ever come back.” 

“I know,” you whispered. “I am, too.” 

Maleficent was the reason that she, Aurora, Diaval, and you were a family in the first place. She had rescued you from the hands of the humans when King Stefan was attempting to kill the only two dark fey remaining in the Moors. She had saved Diaval’s life and while he was once in her debt for her grace, he had chosen to remain by her side for the rest of his days. And as for Aurora --- she was Maleficent’s daughter. Even now. 

You pulled back from Diaval and looked up into his worried eyes. Gripping his upper arms, you exhaled shakily. “What do we do if she doesn’t come back?”

His arms around your waist, he shook his head slowly. He would be doomed to be a human for the remainder of his days. You would be the only dark fey in the Moors. And Aurora would live happily ever after with her Prince, safely in the castle with all of the humans that would welcome her in a way they wouldn’t welcome you or Diaval.

“We’ll wait for Aurora,” he said. He disguised his nervousness with hope --- hope that might put a smile on your face.“Maybe she’ll hear something --- or maybe she’ll go out to find Maleficent. We shouldn’t give up hope just yet.” 

“You’re right,” you whispered. “In the meantime… we should watch over the Moors. It’s without both of their queens right now.” 

As you and Diaval glanced around at the uneasiness that had fallen under all of the creatures of the Moors, you felt yourself become overwhelmed. You weren’t a queen. You weren’t capable of ruling anything, yet at the absence of Aurora and Maleficent, all of the eyes fell on you. The weight of expectation fell on you.

The pressure was shattered as an echoing call rang through the trees. The sun was golden and rising over the trees, erasing the darkness of the night, and you could hear the strangest sound of speaking coming from the castle. 

“To all who live in the Moors,” the announcer said, “and kingdoms far and wide, the king and queen invite you to attend the wedding of their son Phillip to Aurora in three day’s time. All are welcome. And all are expected.”