Chapter 2: The Tesseract

As the moon rises and the stars shine a helicopter lands on top of one of S.H.I.E.L.D's many facilities and disembarking it is S.H.I.E.L.D's Director Nick Fury, Deputy Director of S.H.I.E.L.D Maria Hill and Lorna one of S.H.I.E.L.D's highest ranking agents.

"How bad is it?" Fury asks as they approach Phil Coulson who stands waiting for them.

"That's the problem, sir. We don't know." Coulson replies.

They enter the facility, passing fleeing technicians, taking only the essentials

"Dr Selvig read an energy surge from the Tesseract four hours ago," Coulson explains.

"NASA didn't authorise Selvig to test phase." Fury replies.

"He wasn't testing it, he wasn't even in the room. Spontaneous advancement." Coulson adds

"It just turned itself on?" Maria questions. 

"What are the energy levels," Fury asks.

"Climbing. When Selvig couldn't shut it down, we ordered evac." Coulson answers.

"How long to get everyone out?" Fury asks.

"Campus should be clear in the next half hour." Coulson answers.

"Do better." Fury order.

Fury, Maria and Lorna continue walking down deeper and deeper into the facility while Coulson turns back heading to give out Fury's orders.

"Sir, evacuation may be futile," Maria says.

"We should tell them to go back to sleep?" Fury replies sarcastically.

"If we can't control the Tesseract's energy, there may not be a minimum safe distance," Maria says.

"I need you to make sure Phase 2 prototypes are shipped out." Fury orders.

"Sir, is that really a priority right now?" Maria asks.

"Until such a time as the world ends, we will act as though it intends to spin on. Clear out the tech below. Every piece of Phase 2 on a truck and gone." Fury instructs.

"Yes sir," Maria replies before walking away taking two agents with her.

Fury and Lorna enter the radiation facility housing the Tesseract, the area cluttered with machines and people leaving.

"Talk to me, doctor." Fury calls out to the scientist in charge.

Dr Erik Selvig appears from behind a CMS machine, concerned. The Tesseract is glowing unusually brighter and a flare of blue shoots out from it, hitting things at random.

"Director," Selvig replies.

"Is there anything we know for certain?" Fury asks.

"The Tesseract is misbehaving." Selvig answers.

"Is that supposed to be funny?" Fury asks unamused.

"No, it's not funny at all." Selvig answers. "The Tesseract is not only active, she's... misbehaving."

"How soon until you pull the plug?" Fury asks.

"She's an energy source. If we turn off the power, she turns it back on." Selvig explains "If she reaches peak level..."

"We've prepared for this doctor. Harnessing energy from space." Fury replies.

"We don't have the harness. Our calculations are far from complete. Now she's throwing off interference, radiation. Nothing harmful, low levels of gamma radiation." Selvig explains.