CHAPTER 21. ''1941.''

CHAPTER 21.
1941.

Maeve had arrived at the naval base at Pearl Harbor in Honolulu, she had to be there a month before leaving for Camp Lehigh, where she would meet with Steve while he trained and joined Bucky. She had been exchanging letters with Bucky since he left but it was getting more complicated as the holidays arrived and more people wanted to send out letters to their loved ones, she hadn't received a response from him in almost a week.

"You know, this is going to be my first Christmas here," Maeve told her friend Darlene, who was also a nurse on the base.  ''

''Mine too. I think we should do a secret Santa type thing, what do you think?'' She said naturally disarming a smile. ''Kim should dress up as an elf.''

''I'm not doing that,'' Kim said and without warning, she suddenly stood. ''Wait... do you girls hear that?''

Both Maeve and Darlene looked at her confused but then they noticed, the floor was shaking, someone started shouting and people were running down the halls screaming over and over again. There was chaos going on outside their medical room, they could tell just from the sound of everything, doors opening and slamming, people running and screaming, gunshots and explosions through far away air.

Maeve sat up, ignoring the dizzying sensation it sent through her field of vision. She listened quickly and it didn't take him long to realize that she'd been right, something was wrong. The distinct sound of machine guns and bombs detonating reached her ears. What the hell was going on outside?

The three nurses grabbed their brown bombers jacket off the back of their chairs and ran from the room, instantly getting swept up in the people running every the other way trying to get out of the building as fast as possible.

Kim grabbed one of the men suddenly, "Hey, what's going on out there?" Kim demanded to know.

The man was a young sailor, as were most of the people that had signed up for the Army. He looked back at them with light hazel eyes that were filled with a sense of urgency, but panic at the same time.

"People are saying it's a total war out there! They're saying the Japanese are here and are bombing up the harbor!" He said.

''What?'' Maeve thought to herself, shocked into a state of paralysis. No, there had to be something wrong with that story, there was no way something like that could be happening to her.

Being jolted back to her senses as another explosion shook the earth the building was on, They took off at a run pushing through the crowds of people towards the exit, which conveniently was the place most of the others were trying to get to as well. More than likely wanting to see what was going on for themselves; to see if it was true. She looked instantly up to clear morning blue sky, which was now littered with both high and low-flying planes that she knew were not on their own. She watched them fly parallel to the ocean, shooting at the decks of the battleships that were parked, there. Others dropped their bombs on the huge metal ships, causing tall watchtowers to fall and a mix of fire and smoke to lift towards the heavens.

They could hardly breathe at the sight that was before them.

''Help!" A little voice demanded intensely, the nurses noticed it was a small child on the floor and they rushed to assist. Their adrenaline went wild.

''We need to get back inside!'' Darlene exclaimed in fearful horror.

At that moment they felt a sucker punch that stunned them, knocking them down to the ground.