Part 1

~26th - 27th February~

Despite not knowing why your entire body tensed up. As if someone or something was coming. You had lived in Wakanda for eight months now and even stood by T'Challa when Killmonger had gotten here. You knew the country like the palm of your hand and found it peaceful, so why were you tensing up?

A hand touched your shoulder and you quickly turned around, grabbing them in the movement and judo-flipped them onto the grass beneath you. Only to realize that you knew the person.

"What the hell were you thinking? Sneaking up on me like that?" you asked Ned as you helped him up from the ground while M.J tried not to laugh.

"I realize now that it had been a bad choice, but we wanted to surprise you!"

"How did you two even find out?" you asked with a sigh. You never told anyone about this day, your birthday. Despite what your public past says, you hated being in the center of attention and hadn't told anyone here or in New York about it. Only people who had known you since birth knew the date.

"Well, we were hanging out at Peter's..." M.J slapped his arm and he yelped while you sighed. Peter.

For the first month and a half, you had sent him voicemails almost every day, but he didn't answer. Whenever you visited New York, he was conveniently busy and he never visited you here. It took you a while to get used to the fact that he didn't want anything to do with you, but even now when you had, your friends tried not to talk about him with you.

"It's fine. You guys can say his name. Just tell me how you found out."

"Well, as I was saying, we were hanging out at his place and May was making small talk when she decided to ask us something. Are you guys going to do something with Y/N for her birthday? apparently Happy had told her so she told us the date." he explained and you groaned, what a traitor Happy was. Normally, he was one of the most loyal people alive, but not now apparently.

"How could you not tell us about your birthday?!" M.J asked and you sighed.

"Because I don't want it to be a big thing. I don't like it, never have, never will. I like to pretend it is just any other day of the year." you said before hearing someone clear their throat behind you.

"What would you like to be just any day?" Shuri asked and you turned to her with a sigh.

"Nothing-"

"Tomorrow is her birthday," M.J said and you sent her a glare before turning to Shuri, who looked offended.

"It is your birthday soon and you didn't tell me?"

"I know right, she didn't tell us either," M.J said and you groaned. Now they were making it an even bigger deal. It wasn't that special, you were only turning sixteen. "Sweet sixteen", more like hell on earth. Why did they make such a big deal of people's sixteenth birthday?

"I didn't want anyone to know because it isn't that big of a deal. Can we please just... keep this under the radar?" you asked before noticing that T'Challa had joined the group.

"Keep what under the radar?

"Oh for fu..."

***

All you had wanted was a calm day, nothing big. Maybe chilling in your PJs and watch some Netflix. But no, because as soon as T'Challa found out Ramonda found out, then Okoye and before you knew it, everyone knew.

To make matters worse, T'Challa and Ramonda decided to make it a bigger deal than it is by hosting a fucking ball. A ball to celebrate your birthday, the complete opposite of what you wanted.