Part 26

~4th March~

"What happened with Barton?" Loki asked as the three of you passed his unconscious body. You spared him a glance, nudging him with your foot to make sure he was still out. He was and you turned to the two men looking at you.

"Like I told Agent May, he had been compromised. I could tell you more, or we could wait until everyone is gathered so that I don't have to repeat myself." you said and they nodded.

"Well, considering that you had to beat him to get him down, I'm guessing he got you as well." Loki said and you saw a look in his eyes that unnerved you, it was as if he saw through your pretend.

"I mean, he is a high-leveled S.H.I.E.L.D agent so of course he got me. But it is nothing I can't handle." you said with a confident smile. The look in Loki's eyes remained and you bit your lip. "Erik, protect our rear. I don't want someone sneaking up on us. We are still in the blind which means right now is when we are the most vulnerable." you ordered and he stopped.

"Roger that." he waited until there was some distance between him and you.

"If you have something to say, say it." you said quietly to Loki who smirked slightly, clearly knowing something.

"I faced Barton in New York and the funny detail is, he never misses a target. If you were his target, I can only assume you are wounded." he said and it took everything in your power to look calm despite the panic growing inside of you. If Loki thought you were weak, he could turn on you in a second. "How wounded are you?"

"He shot me in the lower stomach. Like I said, nothing I can't handle." you said, but he didn't look convinced. "I once was chased by everyone I knew while covered in burn marks, I had been shot twice and I had a concussion. Something would be incredibly wrong if I couldn't handle one arrow. But if you don't think you can handle the heat, I think you can find the exit." you snapped and he set his jaw.

"I can handle it. But you are one of the few mortals I can stand so I thought I'd ask." he said and you shot him a glance of disbelief. "What?"

"I think that is the nicest thing I've ever heard you say." you said and he smiled.

"I would advise not to get used to it." he said and you chuckled, nodding that you understood. The small smile slipped off your lips and you stopped, holding a hand out for the others to do as well. "What is it?" he asked and you made a sign to shut him up.

You got down to a crouch and looked at the floor before you. Looked like nothing for the untrained eye, but you could see small traces of mud that had yet to dry.

How it had gotten to the middle of the compound, not even close to any of the exits and it had not been there just a few feet back. By the formation it had, the person the tracks belonged to had been going the same way you were. You stood back up and turned to the other.

"Loki, can you see the mud?" you asked and he bent slightly, then nodded. "I want you to follow where it came from, there must be another exit and in that case, we could be swarmed any minute. If you find anything I want you to use the coms immediately. Understood?"

"Yes." he said and you gave a small nod. He turned around and hurried off. You turned to Erik who looked confused.

"How did you find that small trace?" he asked and you smiled, a warm feeling spreading through you at the memory.

"When I was a kid, my mother taught me that the small details matter the most. I think she wanted me to get more confidence, but I tended to take things literally." you said and he nodded. "Now focus. We are going to proceed as planned, but stay cautious." you said grimly and he nodded again.

The two of you started moving again, listening for any suspicious sound. A small buzzing sound was heard from the area Loki had run off to, followed by the sound of steps coming your way.

"Is Loki done already?" Erik asked and you frowned.

"There are multiple pairs of steps coming our way and he would have contacted us. Play along." you said, pulling out a gun from under the back of the jacket. You smeared some of your blood over your face in case they had seen your face somewhere and knew what you were hiding. You then pulled Erik close to you, placing a gun against his side. Turning up from the turn were four of Thanos's guys. 

One looking like a civilian, two blue-ish green skinned aliens and what looked like... he was human, but he wasn't a civilian. Perhaps a Hydra or S.H.I.E.L.D agent.

"I was able to capture this one but the man in green got away. Did you get him?" you asked and the civilian nodded curtly. "Good. I think this one has one of the containers." you lied and Erik pretended to try to escape. "Settle down or I will shoot." you muttered to his ear.

As you had prepared for this mission, you had checked the cameras that showed Ward ecaping. While you could only see his side profile, you could see his clothes. He had shed his labcoat and exchanged it for a uniform of sort. You didn't recognize where it was from, but you managed to make a good enough replica by things in the several closets in the palace. A good enough cover.

"Shall we move him?" you asked in an almost bored voice.

"Let's go." The soldier of unknowned origin said and the six of you turned to move, stopping in your track when you noticed a man standing before you. Not just any man though, a former level 7 S.H.I.E.L.D agent.

"Mr. Ward, here to help us move this?" you asked, nodding towards Erik. One of the aliens' chuckled at how you didn't even refer to him as human, though you were not in the mood for a laugh. Ward was good. A jackass and a traitor, but good at that. If anyone was going to see through your cover, it was him.

"What's your name, soldier?" he asked and you pushed down all forms of panic.

"Amelia Verily." you said, trying not to cringe at the sound of an old classmates name. An classmate who also was one of Thanos's people. She was as of right now, locked up. But it was better than saying your own name.

"I heard you got locked up." he said and you wanted to swear at the fact that he knew of her.

"William broke me out... is there a problem, sir?" you asked and he looked at you for a while longer, before looking at Erik.

"Why are you taking him with you? Shouldn't you kill him?" he asked and you offered him a sassy smile.

"I could, but then Thanos would lose one of the containers he wants. If you still want to kill him, be my guest." you said, hoping more than knowing that he would not kill Erik.

"I'll have to decline. Let's move." he said, turning his back to you and starting to walk. Before you could even let out a sigh of relief, you noticed how he was tapping his legs rapidly. Some taps were just normal taps while others, he made longer by sliding his finger. Morse code.

If you had caught it all correctly, it meant; 'Both are enemies, follow my lead'. As unnoticably as possible, you leaned forward and whispering into  Erik's ear.

"On my mark." he nodded so carefully that only you could notice. You slammed the gun into his hand and reaching under your jacket to pull out two knives. With them in hand, you nudged Erik before turning around. Before any of the soldiers before you could make a sound, you sliced the civilian's shoulder before elbowing her in the side of her head.

As Erik turned and shot the aliens. You nicked the soldier-person in the knee crease, causing them to fall onto one knee. You grabbed him by the head and thrust your knee into his face. He groaned deeply. 

You heard a gun be fired before seeing Erik falling forward, you spun around and saw a gun that had a striking resemblance to the night-night gun in Ward's hand. He aimed it at you, but before he could shoot you, you pulled the soldier in front of you and they got shot instead of you.

As soon as you felt them become unconscious, you threw their body forward and onto Ward. During the time it took him to throw them aside, you managed to sneak up and slice at his hand, forcing him to drop the gun.

"Mr. Ward, can't say it is a pleasure." you greated with a knife against his throat.

1547 words