17

Of course, you couldn't just up and leave right away. The farm had to be prepared for the time Phil would be away, and there was packing to do. It took the rest of the day to get everything together, sorting through the mountains of things Phil had acquired over 100 years of simply being alive. The most important was the Totem though.

You had been about to pack it with the rest of the supplies when Phil stopped you, a gentle hand on your wrist. Your eyes flicked up to meet his, curious. 

"I think it's better to keep that out of the bag - wouldn't want anyone to nick it when we're not looking." He said.

"You're right." You said, handing it to him. 

Phil took the Totem from you, and you expected him to tuck it away into his own pocket. Instead, he slid it into yours, withdrawing his hand and patting over the fabric gently. "Keep an eye on that for me."

You had only been able to nod weakly at that, and go back to packing, resolutely not making eye contact with Phil for a while - lest your face heat up to the temperature of the sun again.

You spent one last night in the cots tucked against the wall of the house, just listening to the quiet sounds of the forest around you. Tomorrow, who knew what you would be hearing as you fell asleep - or if you even would at all? It felt an awful lot like walking into the end of the world, going back to the war - but if this truly was the end, at least you had had a good few weeks beforehand.

You hadn't thought that this adventure would end up with you just going about day to day tasks in a hidden cottage in the trees, but you couldn't say you were disappointed. There was just something domestic about it that you would miss. And of course, the tentative tolerance turned friendship that you had fostered with Phil. 

You hated that you were trading gardenwork and the smell of chipped wood for the ringing sounds of clashing steel and shouts from the fields. But you couldn't run from the war forever.

Even with all those thoughts swirling in your mind, you got what rest you could. Phil wanted to leave bright and early after all - the sooner you got to the palace the better. 

Bright and early rolled around a few hours later. You got up from your cot one last time to see Phil already sitting at the table, an elaborate breakfast laid out before him. He smiled when you rose from your bed. "Morning."

"Morning." You said, rising from the cot. "What's all this?"

"I figured since we'll be flying all day it was probably a good idea to have a hearty breakfast." Phil said, gesturing for you to sit down. "Also, I wouldn't want anything going bad while I'm gone - that would be a waste, don't you think?"

"Sure." You said, sitting down and looking over the selection of foods. Berries and sliced apples were arranged into little flowers and other shapes. Freshly toasted bread sat nearby. In the center of the table, still steaming hash browns - perfectly golden brown. Phil passed you a plate of bacon, and you took a few strips. "This all looks great."

You dug in, just enjoying the morning sun as it streamed through the windows. It was a comfortable silence as you ate with Phil, and time for you to just savor the last moments you would have in this house. You would miss it here.

After breakfast, you cleaned and put away the dishes one last time while Phil arranged the supplies into the travelling bag he had strapped to his front. It was an odd look, but the wings didn't really allow for him to have much back there - especially because you would be flying. The travelling bag was special for other reasons too though - it was designed with hand and footholds for someone else to hold on.

When it was time to leave, you all but climbed Phil, sliding your hands and feet into the appropriate spaces on the straps. The position left the top of your head just below Phil's chin - you could rest your head on his chest if you wanted to. "Ready." 

Phil glanced down, a soft sort of smile coming over his face. "Still got that Totem?"

You nodded, the weight still in your pocket where he had left it. Phil's hand wandered down, pressing against your hip to feel the outline of the Totem still in your pocket. For a moment, his hand hovered there.

"Alright." He said, just under his breath. You could feel Phil's musculature tense underneath you, and then his wings gave a hearty push, launching you into the sky. The wind whipped around your ears and when you looked down, the spruce forest was spread out below you again.

You couldn't really tell how long you and Phil flew for - time seemed irrelevant as you just watched the landscape writhe and change as you passed by overtop. From up here, the whole world seemed as if it could have fit into the palm of your hand. From up here, you could have crushed the war between two fingertips. 

Soon enough though, you spotted a familiar set of spires in the distance - blue flags fluttering in the wind. The castle. You spared a glance back up to Phil to see the set of determination in his face as he adjusted your trajectory, aiming slightly downward now as you got closer. You opened your mouth to say something but stopped. 

You could taste the smoke on your tongue. 

Your eyes fell back to the castle below you to see smoke rising from the towers. The field was pockmarked with boulders from the back and forth of catapults, and you could see men, moving around like ants amongst the rubble. 

Phil's breath breezed over you ear as he muttered, "Fuck."