30

With things sorted at the castle, you and Phil said your goodbyes (Technoblade making him promise to come visit from time to time and not hole away again) and headed back for the birdhouse - a significantly much better trip that the one you had flown on the way to the war. 

Also notably Totem-less.

Nothing had changed while you were gone, thank goodness. The farm still needed harvesting, and the sheep had regrown their wool. It was almost eerily normal after what you had seen at the palace, but there was something relieving about it as well. Even though you had watched the palace walls crumble around you, this place was untouched. 

It was easy to fall back into the routine you had built with Phil. Each day, you would rise from your cots and make a hearty breakfast before getting into the days work - whether it be farm maintenance or repairs or something else. You would always pack a light lunch to bring with you, and take a break when the sun was high to eat it. The afternoons were mostly leisure time, and preparing dinner. You would usually eat dinner on the deck of the house, watching the sun sink below the tops of the trees. After that, it was time for bed, and you would crawl back into your cots before repeating it all again the next day.

It was almost like you had never even gone to the castle. The only change in the routine was that it was now interspersed with small kisses and light touches.

Like now, feeling gentle kisses pressed to your eyelids as you stirred from your sleep. You couldn't help but smile a light laugh escaping you at the tickling feeling. You rolled over slightly trying to bat Phil away. "Stop, that tickles."

He only laughed, leaning over you more to press kisses along the side of your face, leaving a little trail. "C'mon. Get out of bed and I'll quit it."

You groaned, opening your eyes and squinting at the morning sun as it streamed in through the window. "You're horrible."

"I know." Phil said. "I'm the worst there ever was - I made pastries for breakfast by the way." 

That got you to sit up, swinging your legs over the side of the bed and kicking the blankets off. True to his word, a plate of sweet berry tarts was sat on the table, still steaming slightly from the oven. "I take it back, I love you."

Phil just hummed, getting up and pulling a chair out for you to sit down at the table. You slid into the seat with a smile, pulling Phil down for a kiss before he could escape away to the other side of the table. It was slow and sweet, and you could tell that he had sampled the tarts before you were awake because his lips tasted like raspberry.

"Mmm." Phil hummed when you pulled away. "Maybe I should make tarts for breakfast more often."

"You definitely should." You said, letting him sit down at the other side of the table so that you could reach over and grab one of the pastries from the plate, biting into the warm crust and feeling the berry center bleed into the bread. 

The tarts went quickly between you and Phil, and you ate in comfortable silence, just watching the sun rise over the tops of the trees. Today already had the makings of another great day - the sky was almost cloudless, and judging from the past few weeks of weather it was going to be another warm day - but not hot, because the trees would provide ample shade from the harsh rays of the sun.

Your train of thought about the weather broke when Phil reached across the table to brush a thumb along the corner of your mouth. 

"What?" You asked.

Phil turned his thumb so you could see the smear of jelly he had wiped away before he licked it off. "You just had a bit on your cheek."

"Oh, thanks." You said, finishing off your last tart. "What's on the docket for today?"

Phil shrugged. "I dunno." He said. "Figured we might take a day off, since we got loads done yesterday and it looks like it'll be nice weather. We've been meaning to have a day by the river anyway, so why not?"

You grinned, leaning your elbows on the table. "Have I ever told you much I love you?"

Phil copied your motion, leaning forward as well. "Once of twice, maybe."

You leaned across the table to meet him in the middle, locking your lips together in another sweet kiss. He tasted even more like raspberries this time, but you were more focused on the way his hand came up to cradle the back of your neck, gently playing with the hair on your nape. 

It was moments like these that made you fall in love with him all over again. 

In the beginning of it all, you never would have thought you would end up here, getting ready to spend a day lounging by the river with the Angel of Death. You would have never thought that you would have saved each other's lives ten times over, or that he would basically give up his immortality to be with you. You had fully expected to spend the rest of your days in the capital city, running letters. 

Though you were a bit biased, this seemed like a much better future. 

It had taken a war full of near death experiences to get here, but it was all with it in the end, just to see Phil smile as you packed a picnic for your river day. When he came up behind you and wrapped his arms around your middle, you leaned back into the touch, reminding him to bring a brush for his feathers if he was planning on taking a swim. 

As he had said all those months ago, when you were still waiting for him to open that letter, it was proper domestic.