i

CHAPTER ONE

─── for the vanguard

 A WHIRL OF DAZZLING blue light encased your frame as you arrived at the Tower, you dropped gently to your feet, feeling weary

 A WHIRL OF DAZZLING blue light encased your frame as you arrived at the Tower, you dropped gently to your feet, feeling weary. Ahead the sun was setting with bright oranges and yellows, rays of light hitting your (s/c) face. It was a jam-packed day filled with hard work. There seemed to be endless tasks, and you were downright exhausted.

You let out a breath of air, stretching your stiff shoulders. You gave (G/n), your ghost, a side glance. He was hovering over your shoulder. "Another long day."

"Yes it was, Guardian," he said, shell perked. "You tackled so many assignments in a short amount of time. You did the Vanguard proud!" He nuzzled you softly on the nose.

"I hope I did." You grinned, cupping your Ghost in the palm of your hand. "If Zavala doesn't have any more work for us, should we go see Ada-1?"

(G/n)'s blue orb flickered in agreeance. "Anything you'd like."

You sent him one final smile before making your way through the bustling Tower, your Ghost followed promptly. Many Guardians lined up at Eververse waiting to see the latest shipments and some stood by, contributing in idle chatter. You made a mental note to check in with Tess Everis about the armor ornaments you've been waiting for.

The titan Vanguard, Zavala, turned around at the sound of your footsteps.

You dipped your head respectfully. "Hello, Commander."

"Greetings, (Y/n)," he said, his voice brimming with authority. Even when he wasn't barking out orders, the awoken was always holding himself with confidence, having an orotund tone to his voice.

You pulled out a few bounties from your belt, handing them to Zavala. "I also completed another set of strikes, along with some patrols on the EDZ."

He nodded his head approvingly as he flipped through them, looking at the labels of each. "Seems like you had another successful day." A white bag with an orange Vanguard symbol materialized in Zavala's hand. He passed you the bag, it was the fruit of your labor. "Here are your payments, you deserve it."

You stole a glance inside the bag and caught sight of some glimmer, and a handful of engrams. A smile stretched across your face, you hoped there was better quality gear this time around.

"Thank you," you said, with a hint of formality. You tried keeping it professional when speaking to a member of the Vanguard. "It's greatly appreciated."

Zavala gave you a curt nod in response. "Is there anything to report?"

You paused, recalling your efforts on patrol and during the strikes. "There isn't much that happened today. On the EDZ fallen activities were contained and the Cabal's efforts to send more of their fighters were put to a stop."