CHAPTER FOUR || Reluctant Resignation

While touring the Earth Kingdom, Fire Lord Zuko and his company journeyed to major cities mostly by train, and to smaller villages with the mechanist's renovated supply trucks.  The trips were long and taxing, so Zuko made a point to designate leisure time between traveling and working. Altogether, the volunteers appreciated his prudent leadership, and that encouraged everyone to strive for exceptional service; it also attracted the nation's faith in the mission.

On a warm evening in a farming village, the Fire Lord put together a feast for his personnel and the civilians alike. His hired chefs cooked traditional dumplings, noodles, roast duck and hotcakes for desert, serving the dishes with juice, tea, and plum wine. There was also sorghum liquor, a favorite of Lord Zuko's, but not many others enjoyed it. Alongside the food and drinks, firebenders attended to the bonfire in the middle of the spread, whereas music players brought out their instruments and performed for everyone. As indulgent dining persisted throughout the night, intermingled discussions and lively dancing also commenced.

With exasperation, Zuko noticed he hadn't spotted Toph all day until she nonchalantly strolled into the festivity. Distracted by the preparations, he hadn't observed her lack of attendance, and now that she finally appeared, he grew wary about her absence; it wasn't like her to vanish unannounced.

"Where have you been?" he asked with a slight accusatory tone when she reached him.

"What's with the attitude?" She turned resentful. "You can order around your staff, but you have no authority over me."

They scowled at each other. Toph exhibited a stern expression, and Zuko suspected she was hiding something.

"I'm not ordering you around, Toph. You're acting strange. I'm worried."

"Well, don't be! No one asked you to worry about me! I can take care of myself!"

As Toph stormed away in a grumpy rant, her reaction convinced Zuko of his skepticism. Even though having others show her concern was a sensitive matter, she had never been this erratically theatrical about it in the past. Zuko let her be for a moment but continued to watch her with intent. Ultimately, she let down her guard; she conversed, joked, and laughed. This is when he approached her again.

"Having fun?"

Zuko attempted to convey innocence to disguise his ulterior motive of uncovering her mysterious mood, but Toph didn't buy it and reverted to her grouchy manner.

"I was," she said, provoking Zuko's scoff.

"Come on, Toph. I'm just trying to ease... whatever it is you're going through," he pressed.

"Step off, Zuko," she warned.

"Fire Lord Zuko!" an Earth Kingdom volunteer named Mitsugi interrupted the escalating scene. "Master Beifong! Come, join us. This song is perfect to dance to!"

"Oh, no. I don't dance," they said in unison, but Mitsugi was already dragging them into the twirling crowd.

Reluctantly, they permitted her to link them onto the human chain jubilantly circling the bonfire. When the pace quickened, they picked up their knees and synced to the beat of the sprightly tune. Before they knew it, they found pleasure in the rhythmic exertion of their muscles. In brief but repeated glances, Zuko basked in Toph's elated radiance, catching her massive grin and delighted cheers vastly elevating his spirit. Thereupon, the group dismantled into twosomes as the tempo slowed down. That left Zuko with the choice to retreat or to partner with Toph; he picked the latter.

"You're pretty good for someone who doesn't dance," he said.

"My close attention to vibrations definitely helps," she replied, effortlessly following his lead. "I can sense every soundwave before my ears register it; it allows me to anticipate your steps."