FIVE

Maya's Pov

Lunch came around much too quickly. Carter had walked me to all of my classes today, I never had to do much talking - well typing - I liked that about Carter. Along with Carter he brought, Alex who was actually in a couple of my classes, Alec came with Rosie who was also in a few of my classes and Jack. Carter and Jack are in the year below so we didn't have any classes together. I can't say I minded their company but I wasn't use to it. I wasn't used to having people around me, I wasn't used to being spoken to, I wasn't used to any of this. It was strange and slightly unsettling if I'm honest. I liked the known, I liked routine. But since moving here my life had been less then predictable. It is a good change I suppose but change is still change. I should be used to change but it still unsettled me. 

"Come on bestie, I'm hungry." Carter pouts in an adorable way. I nod and lightly chuckle as I follow him to the canteen. He happily chattered next to me as I followed him to a table. Edna had pre-packed my lunch last night, I loved Edna she's a rather sweet lady, as I sat down I took my lunch out of my bag. Carter and Jack eye it hungrily. 

"You have spare for your best friends, right?" Jack asks with puppy dog eyes that are nowhere near as effective as Carter's. I shake my head with a small smile. When a hand comes towards my food I slap it away, instantly regretting it when I look up at the owner of the wondering hand and find Alec with a small smirk on his face with his eyes holding the prominent look of shock in his eyes. 

"Carter, I like this one." Alec decides, I tilt my head at him and he sends me a smile. 

"Well of course you do, I picked her!" Carter exclaims in an overly dramatic way that makes everyone roll their eyes. "Hey Dam." Carter smiles towards his brother as Damion takes a seat between me and Alec. A part of me was terrified by Damion and his threatening emotionless face but his eyes held mysteries that made me want to be closer to him. I'm a sucker for a good mystery. 

"Hey guys." Damion smiles, Carter gives Damion a stern look that I can't decode but soon Damion's eyes roll and his head turns to me. "Hey Maya." I give him a small wave and a shy smile. "Is this going to be a regular thing?" 

"Yes!" Carter exclaims at the same time as I shake my head to say no. "You are officially apart of our group." Carter declares, again I shake my head and Carter frowns. "Please, give us a week. If you STILL don't want us around we'll leave you alone." 

'One week.' I type on my phone. Carter's eyes light up and I can see the mental happy dance in his head. 'No more then a week.' I warn, I didn't want to get Carter's hopes up. It wouldn't be a good idea for me to be around them for more then a week. Sadness, destruction and trouble seem to follow me around. It would be selfish for me to be apart of their lives. Everyone I've ever had contact with tends to be effected by whatever cloud of darkness follows me around. 

"Give me your phone." Carter instructs. I tilt my head, silently asking why. "To give you our numbers." Carter responds in a duh tone. I shake my head but he just takes my phone out of my hand. "You only have three numbers in your phone." I nod. "Where are your parents numbers?" Carter asks, I just look down at the table. I don't know anything about my parents, weather they're dead or alive, what they look like. I have a hazy memory of me and my mother singing but that's all. Her face is hazy and I can never remember it correctly. 

"Just put the numbers in Car." Damion instructs, as if already knowing it's a sensitive subject.

"Wait Jeffery as in..." Again Carter and Damion share a look that makes it seem like they are having a silent conversation with their eyes. Carter just nods and types in the numbers. "I just added you to our group chat so all of you also have her number now." Carter happily exclaims before handing me my phone back. 

'Who are these two?' I type before pointing at the contact names 'Just' and 'Jame'. 

"My brother James, is Jame. Carter and Damion's brother Justin, is Just." Alec explains and I give him a grateful smile. 

'I thought this was just about sitting with you at lunch.' I frown, a full friendship would never end well. It never has. Yes I've had friends before, of course I have, but every time I get close to them something bad happens. My first friend, Justine, was killed in a car accident at 4 years old. That year, before I moved, the whole friendship group I had gotten close to had mysterious accidents that caused them all to die. Anyone I have ever made friends with has always had a mysterious not-so accident that had killed or seriously injured them. Whatever this dark cloud of death I seemed to have was, I couldn't get them involved. I stopped making friends at all by the time I was 8, I had noticed the pattern. 15 children, all of them my friends, had been killed. It couldn't be a coincidence, not EVERY time. 

"Nope, you're going to become a full fledged member of our friendship group." Carter happily announced. I just fake a smile and gently shake my head. 

'You have to convince me first.' I type. Carter sends me a sly smile and nods his head enthusiastically. 

"It's gonna be so much fun." Carter smiles. I nod slowly, keeping the fake smile on my face. No matter what, at the end of this week, I'll be out of all of their lives. It's for the best. I liked them, they were sweet. I know I don't really know them but nobody deserves the fate that comes to people that are friends with me. Everyone around me continues talking and I zone out. My head becoming full of dark thoughts that begin to consume me. 

"Maya?" I hear a soft voice say from next to me, pulling me away from the scary path my thoughts were slowly becoming. I look up in the direction of the voice and see Damion's worried, mysterious eyes gazing back at me. "What do you say?" 

'To what?' I type. 

"Movie night at ours." Damion chuckles slightly, I can tell that the sound is rarely real and this one was forced, but it still caused a slight flutter in my chest. 

'Sure, text me the address.' I type with a smile. It's only one week, one week of having people to talk to and hang out with. After that I'll go back to my normal life of loneliness. 'For now I have to go.' I say, standing up. There were still a few minutes before my class started, I had music next and wanted to go early to warm up. 

"Why?" Carter whines in an adorable way. 

'I wanna warm up before my music class starts. But I'll come tonight, I promise.' I type quickly. He reads the message and his eyes light up. 

"Okay! Bye Bestie." Carter calls, I wave bye to the table and make my way to the music room. 

I sit down at the keyboard and let my fingers slide aimlessly over the keys before a song comes to mind. I smile and start to play 'Try' by Colbie Caillat, the memories of my now diseased friends coming to mind as I softly sing the lyrics of the song. By the time I'm finished my eyes are glassy with tears which I push down along with my memories of my friends that I keep locked up inside my head and pushed into the furthest parts of my mind.