Chapter 4: Training Day

"Did you really think that you would be able to successfully outwit me, y/n?" Mancini probes, his thumb and index finger gripping your chin roughly to force you to hold his gaze. Whenever you attempt to shift free from the zip ties, the sharp edges of the plastic strain against your wrists and bring you to a quick halt. Each part of your body aches where there was a kick inflicted, or a close-fisted strike to the gut.

"You're even more naive than I thought," he finishes with a jerk of his hand, twisting your head to the side before he releases his grasp. His now free hand moves to retrieve the Glock that he has pressed into the hem of his dress slacks. For whatever reason he strove to present himself as a business focused individual, a professional, despite the monster that he truly was.

The reality of the front of the barrel pressed to the center of your forehead brings you crashing back to reality, and through staggered breaths of discomfort you find Mancini's eyes once again, blackened, silent, and unforgiving.

"Goodbye, y/n." There's the click of the safety coming free, the compounding sound of a bullet firing then darkness.

6:13 AM April 11, 2021

"Answer the door, y/n." The sound startles you as you leap from the clutches of tangled white sheets and the chill of the empty room meets your chest. There's a slick coating of sweat over your body, especially along your back which makes the bed beneath you seem drenched. A wavering hand reaches upwards as you dispel an uneven breath as you run your fingers through tangled strands of bed-head. It was only a nightmare – for now.

A more domineering knock brings you back once again as your focus shifts to look towards the doorway. With a somber sigh, you remove yourself from the clinging sheets and swing your legs off the side of the bed to meet the cool chill of the wooden floor beneath bare feet.

"Coming," you manage, although completely disinterested. It was evident catching Victor Mancini was deeply lingering in your mind, and getting the Avengers involved and up to date was only going to delay catching him. However, it would be void to spring on him with the full throttle of the Avengers. Right?

Your feet carry you towards the door hastily, reaching for the knob and twisting it open to come face to face with Steve Rogers at the other side. His arms are crossed firm to his chest, per usual, and this time he's wearing a grin of amusement, despite the fact it seems you overslept. Before you can even manage to explain yourself, Rogers cuts you off.

"If you're going to work with us," he manages, finally allowing his composure to settle as his arms fall to his sides, "you're going to have to train with us."

Train? Is he serious? You were already a trained member of the NYPD, that included the hand-to-hand academy combat, let alone one of their higher tier detectives and they wanted to have you pursue further training? The Avengers were beginning to continuously test your patience at this point, you already had Wanda Maximoff causing you trouble, now they wanted you to bench yourself to train while Mancini remained at large.

"I can handle myself, Rogers, not to mention I've had enough tactical combat to write my own novel on it." Your words are laced in irritation, but Steve is unmoving as he shifts to cross his arms once again with a faint grin now.

"I understand. But we can teach you more ." He finishes and begins to turn on his heel, "I suggest you take part or Tony's deal with you will be void." He sounds irritated, but he's still wearing a smile, "Now come with me, Nat is waiting." With that, he automatically assumes there's an agreement and staunchly turns to walk down the hallway.

Unbelievable . His arrogance became more and more unappealing by the moment. The only positive to the entire situation was being in the presence of Black Widow once more, especially if she was to be your instructor. You clench your jaw, glancing back towards the opposite end of the hallway where the briefing room was, then to the other direction where Steve continued to move down. No matter what, all you could tell yourself was you had to play nice and do what they asked if you wanted to catch Mancini- alive above all.