Chapter 5: The Fall

It was inevitable that Mancini was going to end up with his face plastered over the media news at some point, and apparently this evening was that day. Your eyes tracked the television screen in the open living space, the remainder of the Avengers gathered in the remaining seats, or stood with their arms folded in silent concentration. Wanda remained seated opposite of you on the couch, but the previous connection had fallen void to what was on the screen now.

Mancini had managed to add another case of murder onto his list, and this time it made you feel revoltingly sick. A girl that was no more than 14-years-old had her portrait situated at the top left of the screen besides the reporter's feature. She had seemingly just been at the wrong place at the wrong time, a stray bullet or an escaping vehicle, yet that wasn't the important factor at the moment. Right now, a young girl had been killed and this surpassed how it had occurred.

Even Tony Stark was staunchly silent, but you tell there was an underlying wrath coiling in his chest. Stark had a daughter of his own, and seeing this you could imagine had him turning inside out with rage. The others seemed rather silent for the time being, except for Natasha who made her thoughts explosively clear.

"What a fucking monster," she seethed through gritted teeth as her fingers curled into a subtle fist.

"It should've been him, not this poor girl," Banner continued, adding onto Nat's reeling emotion of discern.

Your eyes slipped from Banner to fixate on Wanda. Her lips were parted just barely, as if she were going to speak, but nothing fell out. You could tell she was deep within her own thoughts, her fingers playing in the air mindlessly before she caught your glance.

"I told you we'll get him, y/n-" before she could finish the sentiment, Steve spoke up from his stoic silence.

"If we get him alive, that's another story," he spoke with coldness, his own gaze till glued to the television. The remark surprised you half expecting Rogers to be the one to still insist on capturing him alive, and not to have a 'dark-side'. He always seems to be the man of law and righteousness, but right now that was sunken as his eyes stayed focused on the young girl's image.

The warmth of fingers against your knuckles took your focus from Steve back to the brunette next to. Wanda's eyes were soft, sympathetic to the emotion she knew you were experiencing. For the first time, you didn't mind her acknowledging your thoughts. You were wracked with guilt every time something involving the man appeared on the news, knowing you'd been hunting him down for months to no avail. Now another life was lost through what you blamed as your failure and Wanda was all to knowing that, that was weighing on your mind.

She didn't even need to manage a word as her fingertips traced up your fingers. It made the darkness swelling in your chest lift to tingle in warmth for a fleeting moment. Your mind briefly wondered if she was being genuine in her actions, or merely knew it would entice a distraction and reaction from you. Whichever it was, you let it happen for now- even despite the questionable gaze of Banner noticing the action.

"Thank you," you manage with a half-shaken voice as she draws her hand back with a hidden smile. For a NYPD detective, most would expect you to have a more resilient exterior with cases. Yet, Victor Mancini's case was proving a difficult reality for you to grasp and get through. The countless crimes he had listed against himself with drugs was one thing, but the fact the murders were beginning to stack up was making you begin to break. For now, you were thankful that the Avenger were becoming involved because maybe with their resources you could somewhere. God knows they had far more resources than even any government at this time.

"Well- tomorrow," Stark started gruffly, reaching for the television remote as he grudgingly snapped the power 'off', "we move to catch this son of a bitch." His eyes look to you, as if in a silent agreement then to Nat and Steve whom meet his glance. "You two will come with me to brainstorm a plan, and y/n, before you object, see to it you get your rest tonight before delving into this. We will brief you, and everyone else tomorrow." He finishes, gesturing to the room, specifically Banner, Wanda, and yourself.