My Own Replacement

Heyyyy, did ya miss me? Probably not XD

I'm kinda excited to write this story. It was just a small idea that popped into my head and will most likely be a one-shot. IT IS NOT ROMANCEEEE ‼️ _

AND—IT'S NOT MIKEY CENTRIC?? *collective gasps*

Let us begin and dive right in (BRINGING BACK THE RHYMES BABY WOO)

Enjoy!

Disclaimer: I Do NOT Own TMNT In Any Way, Shape, Or Form *cries*
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Silence.

Such an interesting concept. So peaceful. So calm. The world seems to vanish and you disappear into your own small, imaginary realm. It's truly beautiful.

Yet it's so disturbing under the right circumstances.

Under the surface of New York City, the Lair of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles hid away, shrouded by the shadows of the sewers. The turtles, however, were not home. At this time of the night—9:45 PM—they were out under the stars, patrolling the city for any criminals.

The steady drip of water from a loose pipe was the only sound that could be heard as a pair of eyes gazed into another set. It was intense—a staring match between two somethings. It lasted for several more seconds before a sigh shattered the thick silence in the air.

A large figure sat up straighter on the turtles' couch, lowering the other, clearly smaller being down below his eye level.

"Where did I go wrong?" Slash mumbled, loosely cradling Raph's pet turtle, Chompy, in his hands. He had been there for about 15 minutes now, having snuck in after the turtles left, and had been simply sitting with Chompy in his large hands.

Slash glanced again at the small turtle in his hands, frowning as Chompy stuck his tongue out and rolled playfully on his back.

He wasn't jealous. No, no that couldn't possibly be it. More like he was longingly staring at Chompy, wishing he could be in his place and wanting so badly to return to the small tortoise he once was.

Okay, yeah. He was jealous.

Slash tried to avoid it. Attempted to ignore the fact that he missed being Raph's best friend and that he had practically been replaced by a tiny, space turtle. Yet, the thought was always there, pounding in the back of his brain and begging to be let in. Slash knew things would always be difficult between him and Raph. I mean, he had nearly murdered the red clad turtle's brothers, hurt Raph, and gravely injured their Sensei. And only one of those times could he claim that the situation out of his control.

He was aware of the way Raph tensed up unconsciously when Slash was near Leo, Donnie, and Mikey. He noticed the way the turtle's eyes followed him when they hung out. But this was his own grave—and he would rather sit in it, lonely and heartbroken, than admit to his jealously towards a helpless turtle.

And again, the mutant tortoise found himself casting his eyes down at Chompy, lifting him back up towards his eyes. "Listen buddy, I know you're Raph's new best friend. And I know I can't be what you are. But what's your secret?" The alien turtle simply cocked his head to the side, as if projecting his confusion into his expression.

Slash continued, "How do I get my best friend back?" He asked, pitifully. Oh, how badly he wished that he had never touched that mutagen. That he had never went off the rails.

That he hadn't severed the bond of friendship between him and Raph.

Slash jumped as someone cleared their throat behind him. He quickly stood up, glancing towards the entrance of the Lair. And there stood none other than Raph, his face bent into a puzzled look.

"Slash?" He said, glancing at the turtle still in the large mutant's hands. "Uh, what are ya doing, man?"

Slash looked down at his hands and quickly placed Chompy on the couch. "Oh! I was, um, just stopping by to see if you all were home, yeah," he rapidly spit out. He gestured to Chompy. "The little guy was crawling all over your comics, so I figured I'd better move him."

Raph let out a grunt of acknowledgment, but said nothing else. And there it was again.

The silence. Not empty and vast anymore, but suffocating and tight. Demanding to be broken through.

"So, uh, where are you brothers?" Slash asked, glancing at the clock. Already 10:00? Wow.

Raph, blinking out of his stupor, looked towards the lab. "Oh, Mikey got hurt during patrol. Purple Dragon got a lucky shot and sliced his arm pretty good." He shrugged, but Slash could see the worry in his eyes. "Donnie and Leo went to take care of him. It's nothing serious. I stayed out here because you were just kind of...staring at Chompy. What gives?"

Slash tensed again, eyes darting around. "I...well, I just..." Raph's eyes narrowed.

"Don't lie to me," he said. Slash met his eyes and took a deep breath.

"I was...ranting. To the turtle," he admitted, clamping his mouth shut after he let it out. It was quiet for another moment. Then, Slash heard a muffled laugh.

He looked up to see Raph biting his lip, barely holding back a chuckle. "You were talking...to Chompy?" He asked, a laugh bursting out of him.

"Haha! That's gold," he wiped his eyes and put his hands on his hips. "What were you guys discussing?"

All of his amusement left, however, when he noticed Slash avoiding his eyes again. "Slash," he said, causing the mutant to look at him. "What's up with you?"

Slash looked up the sky and sighed. Looks like it's time to come clean, he thought. "I was asking him what it's like. Ya know, to be your new best friend," he mumbled. Raph's shoulders tensed, but Slash continued.

"I mean, I nearly killed your family. Your brothers will always be scared of me and you will always have a part in you that hates me," he explained, his head slightly falling. "I just wish I could go back to when things were normal, and we were good buds."

Raph was quiet for a minute. More silence. Great.

But he opened his mouth, filling in for the absence of sound. "Slash...do you really think that?" He asked. The tortoise stared at the red banded brother, shocked by his question.

Raph smirked slightly. "I mean, yeah, you made some mistakes in the past. Well, a lot of mistakes," he rubbed the back of his head. "But you've changed. Yes, you hurt us, and yes, we still have bad memories from that. But the past is the past, and we can only move forward, as Master Splinter used to say."

Raph walked up to his buddy and clapped him on the back. "You're always going to be my friend, dude. No matter what." Slash looked down at him and a small smile spread across his face.

"Thanks man," Slash said, patting Raph on the back. "Good to hear."

Raph grinned and walked towards the lab, turning his head over his shoulder when he reached the double doors.

"So, you talk to other animals, huh?"

Slash let out an exasperated sigh. "Oh, shut up."

Raph laughed. "Nah man, I do it, too. Something about pigeons," he mumbled, rubbing his chin as he stepped in to check on his brothers.

Slash chuckled and glanced down, meeting Chompy's small, beady eyes once again. And Slash could've sworn the turtle was smiling at him.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

WOOOO WE DID IT!!

That was fun lol. I hope you guys liked it.

I thought it was a funny concept that Slash and Chompy would be a strange pair. Honestly, I think it's hilarious.

I hope you dudes and dudettes have a spectacular day/night!

Much love,
Rosie 🌹