Chapter 25

TW: TALK ABOUT ABUSE!!

HARRY

Dale's Here.

My whole-body shakes as I drive to Maggie's house. I know I'm not paying attention to any of the stoplights as I begin to speed. I feel this heavy pressure sitting on top of my chest, keeping me from breathing normally. I keep choking on air as I struggle to catch my breath, not knowing what the fuck is going on. Not knowing if she's safe. Not knowing if Evangeline is safe.

I think he just got into the house.

Hearing her choke on sobs on the phone broke my heart, knowing that I wasn't there to protect her, to protect them. I was supposed to keep them safe. I told her—I promised nothing was going to happen to either of them and he just fucking got into her house when I wasn't there.

Using the back of my hand, I wipe the tears away that are streaming down my cheeks. As soon as I heard that loud noise from Maggie's side of the conversation, I was out of bed, rushing to find my keys. I frantically tried to get her to talk to me, to tell me what was happening, so I knew what to do, how to help.

Listening to her sound so panicked, so afraid, had chills all over my body. As soon as she told me he was in the house, I was already on my way there. I wanted her to stay on the phone with me until I got there, so I knew they were safe, but her phone disconnected. I had tried to call back, but it didn't go through. That's when I really started to spiral.

I don't know what to do... I'm so scared

As I turn down her street, I can see her porch light on, the small lamp illuminating the outside of the house. I stop the car outside of the house, not bothering to park, not even bothering to take the keys out of the ignition. Rushing out of the car, I ran up to the door to see that the door was off the hinges, laying on the living room floor. That alone sends chills down my spine with fear.

"Magnolia!" I yelled, walking into the house. The sound of glass breaking under my steps is the only noise that I hear. "Maggie! Baby, can you hear me?"

I rush over to the stairs, running up them frantically as I look into each room to see if they're in any of them. I look in Eva's room and see her crib moved from the wall, all of her toys scattered across the floor as if someone was searching for something. Moving to continue down the hallway, I feel like my knees give out on me as I see Maggie's door broken into pieces, parts of the wood lying on the hardwood floor.

Using everything in me, I run down the hallway, bracing myself for whatever I'm about to see. I feel more tears running down my face as my fears begin to sink in, knowing that something terrible had happened. I inhale deeply before entering the room, mentally preparing myself for the worst.

I feel the air in my body get knocked out of me as I look down at the floor. Maggie lays sprawled out, looking almost lifeless. I take cautious steps toward her. A sob wrecks through me when I see her stomach rise and fall with every shaky breath she takes. Her face is covered in bruises. Sinking to my knees next to her limp body, I feel everything and nothing at the same time.

Numb but also having the ability to feel everything.

I carefully raise my hand to move strands of hair out of her face. Her lip is busted and blood oozes out of the cut on her swollen bottom lip. Her jaw was bruised and swollen. I let my fingers hover over her jaw, not wanting to cause her any more pain. Her cheek has a welted red handprint plastered across it. I look away, biting my lip to muffle the sobs escaping my mouth.