Chapter 37

MAGNOLIA

"Eva, can you sit down for a moment? Mommy needs to put your shoes on," Harry asks softly, looking down at Eva who's been running around for the last thirty minutes.

We've been trying to get ready for two hours now. Harry and I took turns showering and getting dressed so the other could watch Eva. He went first, and then after I was finished, I gave her a bath as well. Everything was fine until it came time to put shoes on. I swear, if Eva had it her way, she would be barefoot every second of the day.

"No! I don't want shoes," she screams, her little face turning red as she tries to run away.

Harry's quick to grab her. He kneels down in front of her, and I can tell that this is one of those rare moments where he's about to be 'mean daddy' and correct her. There have been small moments here and there, but it's always ended the same way; Harry giving in because he can't take the sight of her in tears.

"Eva... you don't speak that way to mommy and daddy. Do you understand me?" he asks. His voice is firm, and it sends chills down my back as I watch him. His brows are furrowed, but I can see it in his eyes that he doesn't want to yell at her. "Now, we're going to go sit on the couch, and you are going to put on these shoes, or I'll take away all your suffies." he threatens, and I can see the worry on her small face.

Her eyes widened, small tears welling up in her eyes and I know it's all facade. As soon as Harry was to say that he wouldn't do that, the tears would dry up. She's played me the same way a hundred times before.

"O-okay daddy, I'm sorry." She whimpers, her chin wobbling as she tries to speak.

"It's okay, sweetheart. Don't cry," Harry coos, wiping the tears from under her eyes. "Let's go put these shoes on now, bug."

Taking her hand, he leads the both of them over to the couch. Her face is set in a pout, but she allows him to place her on the couch before he sits next to her. He takes her leg in his hand and lays it across his thigh. Grabbing the pair of white socks next to him, he slips one onto her small foot.

"See, isn't that better? Now, your tiny foot isn't cold, bug." he croons, reaching for her other foot to repeat the action.

She allowed him to easily slip the other sock on, her eyes following his every movement. After he's got both socks on her feet, he grabs her ankles, leaning down her pretend to bite at her toes, making a sound that seems like he's eating her feet. She breaks out into a fit of giggles as she tries to tuck her feet under her, squirming in her seat.

"Alright, darling, now we've got to put these cute shoes on your feet, okay?" he asks, grabbing the pink booties that are sitting next to him. Her eyes follow his hand as soon as she sees the shoes, a pout goes back on her face. Her brows crease and I can see her cheeks glowing pink. "Aren't these just the cutest?" he asks her, looking between the boots and her face. "I think they look so pretty, darling." he whispers, her face breaking, a soft small smile tugging at her lips.

Her head nods, and she lets out a little 'mhm'. She wiggles her toes and lifts her foot up for him to place the shoe on.

"Well, that was easier than I expected." I whispered as she scooted off the couch, tapping her shoes on the floor.

"Yeah, I know, but now we can go," Harry says, coming to stand next to me. "We're still a bit early but that should be fine." he mutters, glancing down at his watch as I gather Eva's bag.

We've got a showing at a house that we saw the other day. Harry had called a realtor the second we both decided that we liked it. She had called us back yesterday, telling us that they had a space open for a walk-through.