Chapter 25

Taehyung slightly pulled away with half-lidded eyes before quickly closing in for the last time, leaving me to swiftly respond to our second— no, third round of kissing.

He almost didn't let me breathe by the amount of force he was putting into the kiss. It was like he needed me, and wanted me to know that. It was the soft type of kiss that would awaken all the butterflies sleeping in tranquility.

His lips parted a little when he was out of breath, gasping for air. It was only then— staring into each other's eyes for no one knew how long.

"I.. uh, I have something to say," he spoke.

I bit my bottom lip and nodded, letting him say whatever he had to say.

"I like you. No— I really, really like you," he confessed.

Flustered, I didn't know how to respond, nor was I blinking. I had expected him to say that anyway but it suddenly felt like I couldn't pay more attention to any shits besides my palpitating heart.

And my clogged brain only came up with an:

"Um, well yeah? I guess I know that?"

"No, Rain."

I hysterically panicked. Is it not what I thought it is? Holy sh—

"I like you so fucking much it's starting to hurt."

What?

The increasing abnormal heartbeat only worsened as I digested his words. My chest bubbled up with nervousness.

"L-Like, as in a boy to a girl?" I asked only to confirm.

I couldn't incorporate what kind of expression he had on because I couldn't see his face. All the while, he was playing with my pinkie, fiddling it against his thumb and forefinger.

"A high school boy to a high school girl. A grown up boy to a grown up girl. Yes."

My face flushed from the embarrassment. He did not have to settle the words like that because I already knew.

"Thank you." Fuck.

"I like you a lot," he repeated.

I pursed my lips. I couldn't think of anything more to say and still hadn't recovered from the little shock.

Does he want me to give an answer now?

"But it fucking hurts because by doing this, Jimin will get hurt as well." His head hung low.

I opened my mouth to hum an 'oh' but then closed it back as I realised he didn't look too happy. In fact, he didn't look happy at all.

"Is it because he likes me?" I pulled my eyebrows together.

Taehyung slightly nodded as he took in a sharp breath before releasing through his clenched teeth.

"I have parents but it feels like I have no one besides Jimin. I don't want to lose a friend. Just living in this pathetic world makes me realise how lonely I am despite being surrounded by a lot of people."

His eyes screamed pain ; vulnerability, completely contradicting his usual bright selfhood.

And then his tears fell.

"I feel like I lost my parents when I never did. We are living in the same roof but I barely see them. Even if I do, it's always the sight of my father beating up my mother. They are so near and yet so far, and the more I chase, the further they seem.." he continued, his voice barely audible.

His fiddling on my fingers intensified, his gentle sobs getting slightly louder. My chest was starting to hurt too because I couldn't feel his pain. I could do nothing to help.