Wanting

Rowan Row as Jake Menoti.

When I started working at West-comm Enterprises,I never dreamed that i would one day become one of the vice presidents of the company. Mr. Philip, the CEO was kind enough to offer me an assistant job while I was still in college. I am best-friends with his son and he saw how my mother was struggling to raise me and my brother,she was his children's nanny. My mom could not work anymore when she was diagnosed with cancer and her right hand had to be amputated.I didn't want to be handed money without working for it so I decided to request Mr. Philip for the assistant job because his assistant had handed a resignation letter to be a stay at home mom, she was seven months pregnant.

When I graduated with a degree in business management at the age of nineteen, Mr. Philip offered me a job and since then i have been striving for the top position and just six months ago i banged the vice president position.

I can't  seem to get the smile of the lady I just met at the lobby out of my mind, at least i got her name, Kate. I wish I was the one conducting her interview, I didn't even know we were hiring. Although she said it was an internship interview.

"My man, Mr. Menoti! how are you feeling today?" Blair my best friend busts into my office with a big grin on his face. 

"Are you not supposed to be at home resting? you just completed a forty eight hour shift!" Blair is a resident at the county hospital. 

" I should but I had to bring dad a refill of his Adderall, I couldn't leave without saying hi to you, it's been long since we last hang out."

" I know right, we should plan something when you get off work am flexible on my side." I didn't have to be in the office all the time, most days I worked from home.

I decided to walk Blair to the down the elevator as we chatted more, more of him telling me of his latest lay, he was a one night stand type of guy who was sexually liberated.

"OUT OF THE WAY!" two paramedics handling a stretcher pushed us aside as they rushed to the small clinic we had in our office. That lady, Ms. Kate was lying unconsciously. I panicked and blindly started going after them.

"What happened? is she okay?" I asked the human resource manager who was by her side.

"She was on the phone when I walked in, she just fainted I bet it's something she was told. Her friend is not saying anything. This is not how I was hoping to start my day." She said with no emotion to her, we were already used to her emotionless character.

"You know her or something? I could check up on her before I leave." Blair offered.

"No I think the nurse will attend to her and you are tired go home." I gave him a one sided hug as I watched the clinic door close. I wanted to go see if she was fine but I trusted our nurse to take care of her, and why was I concerned if she was fine, she was not our employee yet. I couldn't start caring for someone I had only seen once. I turned around and walked to the elevator back to my office. MS. Grace came in after two hours and informed me that they could not conduct the interview because Kate had a family emergency. I told her not to interview anyone else until Kate and her friend were back. She did not question my decision.

After a month Eve came for her interview which she passed. Since then she has been working two floors below me and I never see her. I want to ask what happened to Kate but I can't, I only had a glimpse of her one Friday evening when we were leaving for work.
I have the perfect plan to start a conversation with her.

"Hey Ms. Eve, I need to make a booking for my secretary and I, is it a good time?" We had a meeting with a representative from our branch in Japan, I told my secretary who was heavily pregnant that I would take care of the reservations.

"..Yes sir.. do you have the dates?" She was shocked. This is something that I would have communicated through an email but no, am here on fifth floor making a booking.

From there on we started a tradition of greetings before work, we would meet at the reception area in the morning and evening. Even though she never said anything about her friend I never asked. If she was okay then I believe the friend was okay too.

" Mr. Mennoti, Mike is on the phone." Leah my secretary barked  through the intercom.

"Put him through... Hey Mike, why are you calling me through the office?" I asked.

"I call you not pick up! " He accused me bitterly.

"Am sorry Mikey, I think I left my phone on silent after the conference I just had. How are you? Did you eat? And are you being a good boy?" I said happily.

"Me a good boy, eat all my food and not be bad to Mom. Are you being a good boy Jay?" I can't hold my laugh. I don't think I have smiled since morning.

"Yes Mikey, am being a good boy and am about to finish all my work. Have you finished the puzzle?" I ask.

" I finish fast, easy puzzle Jay. Next give hard!." He challenges me.

"Good boy Mikey! I knew you could do it." I say.

"I no boy Jay. Bye mom calling!" He hangs up before I can even say my goodbyes but am used to that, he loses interest fast. Man I love that boy.

Still smiling I go through all the paperwork on my table. I still have a tone of emails to answer since I always let them accumulate then go through them once. All I do is answer and delete emails that are not useful to me until it's time to close. And when I step out the elevator I find the night guards confirming to me that's it's way past seven and everyone has already left. I wave bye to then as I head to the parking lot and get in my car and drive home to my family.

Chapter two done☺️☺️.
I haven't decided how I will be posting. You will be informed soon.
Thank you for reading.
Like comment and share❤️