Floating

Katherine.

I watch my reflection on the bathroom mirror that is blurred due to the hot  shower I just took. It's been three weeks since i buried my mother. I don't know what stage of grieve am at right now but I think I go through all four on a daily basis. I appreciate my family being there for me but I don't think that they understand that my loss is way deeper than theirs, they lost a sister, an aunt, a wife but we get multiples of that. You can never replace a mother, especially my mother, she was my everything and my only immediate family I had. I was an only child of a single mom. I have never met my father, it was a hard topic for my mom so I stopped asking as I grew older.

"Am hoooome!" I hear Eve shout from downstairs and a few minutes later she barges in the bathroom, I don't look the door when am alone in the house, I am wrapped in a towel though.

"Can't I ever get privacy in this house?" I complain although I know she will never heed to my complains.

"Get used to it girl, am tired of your complains, in other news, how was your day? i see you finally cleaned up! I was planning on washing today because you kind of were starting to smell." she laughs obnoxiously, she is a loud one. 

"It's only been... I don't know around two or three..." she cuts me off.

"FIVE DAYS! IT'S BEEN FIVE DAYS!" she shouts.

" you are lying, get away from the door am cold I need to get dressed." I say changing the subject and leaving the bathroom. Of course she follows me to my room. I throw my towel to the hamper as I stride to my wardrobe and start applying some lotion to my body. She jumps on my bed and starts discarding her clothes, I throw her one of my many extra large t-shirts, as I put on one and join her on the bed.

"How was it today? did that cute guy try to talk to you again?" I ask enthusiastically. 

"It was okay, and speaking of him, his name is Jake, but in the office he is Mr. Menoti. guess what!" she says.

"What?" am interested.

"He invited me out on Saturday with his friends, I don't think he is into me like into me, it's on a friendly level. I don't feel all tingly when I speak to him." she says with a bored expression.

"You mean you have not thought of him doing naughty stuff? that is a first!" I exclaim.

"What? I don't like him like that, he is not my type but he is your type" she finishes with a wink.

"I don't think so and mind you am not looking for someone, not now and definitely not any  time soon." I dismiss her suggestion with a laugh. I don't think am in the right mind-space to be involved with anyone. I don't think i want to experience loss again in my life.  

"Be my guest. By a time like this next year you will be a love struck puppy and you will be living with someone." she coos.

"I love you but most of the times you are stupid!" I tell her. We laugh it off as we both get engrossed on our phones. I have not been updating on my Instagram but I log in daily just to check up on a few friends and celebrities. We lay on my bed like that for about one hour until Eve's stomach growls and it's our cue to go prepare dinner but being lazy has its advantages, we order in.

"You have work tomorrow Eve, go sleep! " I repeat for the third time. 

"I want to sleep here" she says as she hides in my blankets.

"No you are not, you move a lot in your sleep plus you are going to wake me in the morning you know am not a deep sleeper" I complain.

"Okay, okay am going to my room. geez!" she says as she wakes up and walks to the door. At the door she pauses and looks at me.

"Have a goodnight Katie, I love you."

"I love you too babe, see you tomorrow and take care of yourself." I say. she closes the door behind her. I wait until I hear her door open and close then I get  to bed. I know I should have let her sleep here because regardless I tend to spend most nights watching the darkness. It's been hard sleeping this past few weeks, all I see is my mother's face whenever I close my eyes. I have not told anyone about it because they can not help me. My family and friends have helped me to their full capacity now it is my turn to work on myself. 

"Come on Kate! I already told them I was coming with a friend, what will they think of me if I show up alone!" Eve whines from my wardrobe, she is going through my clothes while I lie on my bed.

"I did not tell you to include me in your plans, did you ask me if was free?" I say.

"Since when do you make plans on your own? if I don't go with you he might think that am thinking it is a date! you have to do this for me and also for your own good, you have been cooped up in this room for the last three weeks. Love you need this night as much as I need it. I miss going out and getting wasted with you." She finishes her rant and a wave of guilt rushes down on me, I have been in my head too much that I assumed the person I currently love the most in this world and maybe the only one I ever will.

"Okay, okay I will accompany you but I can't promise I will be fun." I finally agree. She rushes and jumps on me, squishing me on the mattress which is very uncomfortable.

"Giirrlll... you better get off me before I change my mind." I say in a serious tone.

"Am sorry, am so sorry please don't change your mind I will do anything you want me to. I will even hold my breath for two minutes, if I do more than that I will die.!" She rambles on and on.

"I wonder what goes on in that silly mind of yours." I chuckle as I head the bathroom to clean up since I have been neglecting my body grooming activities.

"PLEASE DO TAKE CARE YOU TIME, WE HAVE TWO DAYS TO BE THERE!" Eve shouts sarcastically as she leaves my room. I know we only have two hours before we have to head out to the bar. As I get under the shower, I hope that I will have a good time and forget all my thoughts for a night.

Author's note.😊

Chapter three done. Still not decided on posting day.
Read, vote and comment.
Love.