Chapter 1: Puffy Eyes and Cheesecake

A/N: Introducing....Haruto :) Enjoy! Love y'all, and thanks for the support <3

Oliver's POV

I hated to be that guy that wears shades indoors, but I said fuck it, no one needed to see the red blotchy eyes as I tapped away at my laptop. Especially when everyone knew me in this coffee shop.

Setting my table up, I plugged in my laptop charger. I headed to the register to which Janice, one of the mediocre baristas, was manning. She gave me a puzzled look, as I cleared my throat, my voice hoarse from last night's sob fest. "I'll have a large cold brew with-"

"White mocha? Already working on it," I heard the barista, Haruto say. "Welcome back, Ollie. I got it covered. Nice shades."

Still out of it from the lack of sleep and failed exam, I handed Janice my card, but she shook her head. "On the house. He won't take no for an answer, you know that."

"Thanks, Janice," I mumbled before frowning at the smiling man behind the counter. How he could be so cheerful even after his classes was beyond me. "Thanks, Haruto."

One of these days he was going to get fired, giving away free cold brews like it was nothing. Not that I was complaining about free coffee, but I seriously didn't want to be liable.

I trudged back to the table in the back of the shop to boot up my computer, pulling out my assignments I needed to get done but would probably procrastinate again. It was a bad habit, but that was the life of a college student. Was it that bad that I just wanted to catch up on some shows I've been meaning to watch? Plus the wifi here was phenomenal, worlds better than the one in my apartment. What else could I possibly need?

"Ollie, I've got your cold brew with white mocha," Haruto's voice rang out on his way to the table. He set the coffee down gently before pulling out the seat in front of me.

Although this wasn't a restaurant, Haruto always would hand deliver my drinks while he was here, something I thought was unusual. He'd do it for some of the older gentlemen and ladies that came here in the mornings, but for some reason that hospitality extended to me as well. Even Janice didn't do that. Well, she hardly ever made my drink, and there was a good reason for that.

Was I too pretentious and picky to only like Haruto's cold brews? That for some reason only his, out of all their staff, would be perfect each and every time. Maybe it was my desire for routine and consistency, but his coffee was always, without fail, perfect.

"Shouldn't you be back behind the counter?" I said off-handedly.

"Break time."

"Your shift started only an hour ago," I reminded him. "Break time isn't for another hour."

He laughed. "Well, it's slow, so I can afford another break."

"That's not how it works."

"Janice doesn't mind."

I sighed before glancing up at him through the tinted lenses. I wasn't sure when this had started. Our banter, and his need to sit with me during his breaks and lunches. At first I assumed it was because we were close in age, possibly the same college. But Janice and two of the other baristas were his age too. I had chalked it up to it just being his personality, friendly, and overly flirty.

Or that's what it seemed like in my eyes. He was like this with everyone though. Winking, complementing, the works. Didn't matter the gender or if they were old enough to be his parents, Haruto would flirt with them like he was desperate to score a date.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't mind the attention, even if it was a bit off putting, and easily misread.

He hummed before tilting his head, analyzing the sunglasses. "What's with the shades? Had an eye appointment? Or a headache? I think we have a bottle of Advil in the back if you need it."