CH18: Maggie & David

Maggie and David can hardly believe their eyes.

Standing in front of them are actual survivors. Real living, breathing, talking survivors.

Maggie has always imagined that finding other people would bring her joy and relief because it would mean that they are not alone in this godforsaken world.

It would mean the end of their isolation.

It would mean there is a chance for humanity's survival after all.

Finding other survivors is meant to be a good thing---a sign of hope during these bleak times.

So why are her hands trembling?

Why is her heart racing the way it did yesterday when they were face-to-face with a horde?

Whether it's because of the unsettling masks these people are wearing or the fact that it's just her and David facing these six armed strangers, her body tenses and her good hand grips her machete tighter.

The man wearing a demon mask takes another step forward and, instinctively, David pulls Maggie to him.

"Easy now," the Demon says, his amusement obvious despite his voice being muffled by the mask.

He raises both of his hands placatingly, as if to show that he means no harm, and Maggie notices he is the only one without a weapon. The rest of his men are armed with melee weapons, such as spiked bats, metal pipes, and crowbars.

"No need to be alarmed," he continues. "We just wanna talk."

"Who are you?" Maggie asks bluntly, eyeing the masked men with apprehension as they too take a step forward. "Are you with Joseph Romano?"

The Demon cocks his head to the side.

"Joseph Romano? Joseph Romano..." he drawls, pinching the mask's chin with his thumb and forefinger as if in thought. He then turns to his companions. "Any of you boys know a 'Joseph Romano'?"

"Nope, sorry boss," replies one of the men wearing a skull mask.

The rest shake their head as well, chuckling as they do.

The unsettling feeling in Maggie's stomach grows.

Something is off with these people.

"Sorry," the Demon speaks up again. "We don't know anyone by that name."

He takes another step closer.

"But what we do know is that you seem to have wandered into our territory, miss."

And there it is. The red flag.

"Your territory?" David repeats, glaring daggers at the masked men.

Maggie feels his grip on her arm tightening.

The Demon seems to study David before replying, "Yes. Our territory. And it looks like you've taken something that belongs to us."

He extends his hand and cocks his head again to the side.

"So if you would be so kind as to hand those over, that would be great."

It is just as Maggie dreaded. Now that resources are severely limited, people could be driven by desperation to get their hands on anything they can find, no matter the cost.

Perhaps the same is true of Maggie and David because they're not about to give up their loot. One way or another, they're walking out of there with those medical supplies.

But before Maggie can find the right words to reply, David beats her to it.

"Funny...I don't see your name on any of this," David challenges without so much as batting an eye.