4 - better out than inside

"Well, was fun" JJ stated, as if risking being caught red-handed due to a gun was a normal valuable experience

"Well, was fun" JJ stated, as if risking being caught red-handed due to a gun was a normal valuable experience. "Could have warned us sooner, though".

Physically, Samantha was on the HMS Pogue, on her way back to the cut, but mentally, she was still pressed against the wall, with JJ's breath on her neck. All she could think about was what it would be like to feel it again.

"We would have, except Pope was on the math team" Kiara answered.

"Guessing in the math team they don't teach you how to imitate a bird,'' Samantha giggled. "It sounded terrible".

"You were on the math team?" JJ asked, sincerely confused.

"Can we just move on?" Pope dismissed the subject. "The cops took everything like it was a crime scene".

"Because it was a crime scene," Samantha replied. "The wreck on the seabed, that isolated motel, the cops ... They communicate bad vibes".

"I don't know if I feel bad vibes, actually" JJ shrugged, drawing attention to himself. "Not with these" he added, showing to the group the gun and some bills that until that moment he had held hidden.

"No fuckin way!" Kiara exclaimed in surprise.

"Why take that from a crime scene?!" Pope asked nervously.

"Better than cops having it".

"You serious?" Kiara looked at John B and Samantha. They both shrugged defenseless. Nobody could prevent JJ's stupid actions.

"I'm gonna lose my merit scholarship" Pope whined.

"You haven't said that today yet" Samantha laughed. Being involved everyday in situations not totally legal certainly didn't help Pope's natural anxiety, so at least once a day he repeated that one day or another he would lose his precious scholarship.

JJ got up from his seat and walked towards Pope, putting his arm around his shoulders. "Sh, sh, sh. At least you have us, right?".

"I'm living the nightmare" Pope shook his head, moving away.

When they returned to the mainland, Samantha and the others stopped at the docks, leaving the motel matter for further conversations, until a crowd gathered in their same spot. She felt a shiver run down her spine as a body was carried out of the water. A dead body, without any doubt. Even from a distance, his pale corpse skin left no questions.

"Who's that?" John B asked, his voice low and dry.

"It's Scooter Grubbs. He was out during the storm" a blonde girl next to them answered. Samantha gulped, her eyes pierced to that body. Even if she could feel slightly nauseous, she couldn't take her eyes off the scene.

She had forgotten that the blonde girl was still next to her, and she jumped when she started talking again. "Somehow, that dirtbag copped a brand-new Grady-White. Everyone's looking for it".