Chapter 5-Steps

I crossed my arms as Sam, Bucky, and I watched Walked as he knelt on the cement, blood still very visible on my brother's shield.

"Walker," Sam said as he walked over to us with a stony expression.

"You guys should see a medic. You don't look so good." Walker said, glancing at us.

"Stop, Walker." Sam said.

He turned on us with annoyance. "What? You saw what happened. You saw what I had to do. I killed him because I had to. He killed Lemar!"

"With my brother's shield! A shield that has never been used to kill! You didn't just taint the reputation of the shield, Walker! You tainted everything and everyone that that shield stood for! You don't deserve my brother's shield or title. You never did." I shouted at him, walking up to him.

"Yeah, well you're brother's gone. I'm here now. Which means I am your brother now." Walker said.

I punched him in the nose and he fell back, holding his nose to stop the flow of blood. "Don't you dare say that to me again, or you'll have more than your nose broken."

"Alex . . ." Sam said gently, putting a hand on my shoulder and backing us away. "John . . . we need the shield back."

Walker looked up at us and frowned. "No. I earned this title. I earned this shield. You don't want to do this."

Bucky finally spoke up. His voice deathly low and terrifying. "Yeah, we do."

We all ran at Walker and he slammed his foot into my stomach, sending me flying back and crashing into wooden crates.

    I groaned, pushing myself up and watching as as the fighting raged on. Walker pinned Bucky down to the ground and raised his shield, the shield being brought down as I saw it in slow motion.

    I sprinted over to the two and rammed into Walker's side, tumbling us over on the cement and wrestling over the shield, kicking and punching each other.

    "Stop being stupid, Walker!" I said, slamming the side of my hand into his throat and tugging at the shield. "Bucky! Sam!"

    Bucky held Walker up and wrapped both arms around him as Sam and I both tugged at the shield, finally releasing it from his hold.

Sam slammed his foot into Walker's chest and he went tumbling down, whacking his head on the concrete.

I looked down at the shield in my hand and looked back up at the two men.

"I'm going back to the house. Meet me there if you'd like." I said, walking away from them.

I decided to walk back, getting a good half hour to think about everything. The second I got back, I got a damp washcloth and sat at the couch, working on the shield.

"I hate Walker." I said, rubbing at the shield with a washcloth to get the blood off.

"And you think I like him?" Bucky asked, sitting down on the couch next to me, looking at me. "Hey. Look at me."

I sighed and looked at him, all of my hatred boiled out of me once I saw his steel blue eyes looking into my green ones.

"It's going to be okay. We got the shield back and Walker is most likely going to go to jail." He said helpfully.

"That makes me feel a little better." I said with a hint of a smile.

He smiled, brushing a lock of hair from my face, rubbing his thumb over my cheek. "Good,"

"Bucky?"

"Yeah?"

". . . what are we? Are we friends, or . . .?"

He was silent for a while. "What do you want us to be?"

"I don't know. But let's take things slow, okay?" I asked.

He nodded. "I'm okay with that. I just want you to be okay with it."

———

"I'm Bucky." Buck introduced himself to Sarah, a smile on his face.

    She smiled. "Sarah,"

    "And I need help with this. Mind helping, Buck?" I asked, grabbing his arm and walking him to the other end of the ship where Sam was trying to pull up a metal board.

    Bucky sighed and ripped it out with his metal arm, setting it on the deck of the ship. "That all?"

    "Alright, but no flirting with my sister, you hear?" Sam asked, point a finger at him.

    "What? What?" Bucky looked at Sam and me, then shook his head, placing both hand on my shoulders and looking me in the eye. "Hey. There's no need to be jealous."

    "I'm not . . ." I trailed off, thinking over what happened a few minutes ago, and sighed. "I guess I was, wasn't I?"

    He chuckled. "Listen, I don't care if this is cheesy or cringy, but you are the only one I will ever love."

    I smiled. "Okay,"

    "Okay. Be back in a second." He said, smiling at us before heading back to the back of the ship.

    "So . . . did you and Buck establish what you are yet?" Sam asked.

    "No. We're taking this slow." I replied.

    "That's smart. Hey, why don't you and Bucky crash at our place tonight? The neighbors are friendly and welcoming."

    "You sure?"

    "Yeah, definitely. Just don't wake up at the crack of dawn." He said, pointing a hammer at me.

    I laughed. "I won't, Sam."

———

"Hey, Bucky. Thought you'd want some coffee before you start the day." I said, handing him a mug of coffee and sitting on the couch next to him.

    He took both our mugs and set them down on the coffee tables, wrapping his arms around me and laying back on the couch cushions.

    "Whaaaaaaaat are you doing?" I asked, looking at him as my head rested on his shoulder.

    "Can't I just cuddle with you for five minutes?" He asked.

    "You big softie. Five minutes only, then we need to go find Sam." I replied.

    "Okay," he agreed, holding me closer and rested his cheek in my hair, his thumb rubbing slow circles on the bare skin of my arm.

    "Hey—Sarah! Get the camera!" Sam shouted, making us look at him in annoyance.

    "Five fricking minutes of peace. That's all we ask." Bucky said.

    "Ouch, someone's grumpy." Sam chuckled lightly.

    "Why did you need a camera, Sam?" Sarah came out with a camera, looking at us and smiling. "Aw. Cute,"

    "Sarah! Not you too!" I complained.

    She smiled. "Okay, fine. Sam, you're not getting the camera today. We need to respect their privacy."

    "Oh, come on, Sarah." Sam said, going after her as she went back down the hall and we were left in silence again.

    "That's better," I sighed.

    "Mmhm," he agreed, kissing my forehead.

Wow! Over 1k reads! I'm shocked at how well this story is doing! I am so grateful for all of you who are reading this. Thank you so much. I hope you liked this chapter. Don't forget to vote and comment.

Till next week! Adios!