Chapter 6-Calling All Heros

"You all in position?" Sam asked over comms.

    "We're ready, Sam." I nodded as I looked down from the roof to see Bucky and Sharon in position.

    I switched to my private comms. "Hey, Buck, you hear me?"

    "I hear you." He replied.

    "Be careful. Don't die." I said.

    "I won't if you won't, Alex." He replied.

    "Talk to you later. Something's happening." I said, switching off my private comms and going back to my normal one as I heard fighting over the earpiece.

    "Sam! Backup?" I shouted, starting to run to the building.

    "I'm good! Help Bucky and Sharon!" Sam shouted back. "Make sure the Flag Smashers don't leave the building!"

    "Found one! He's coming your way, Alex!" Bucky shouted.

    I jumped down from the roof and landed on a rafter of the second floor of the building, getting out a knife and spotting the Flag Smasher running past the crowd with Bucky and Sharon in pursuit.

    I held back my arm and sent my knife flying into the escapee's leg, making him crash to the floor as I landed in front of him, pulling my knife out and seeing Bucky and Sharon's surprised faces.

    "Wow. Good aim." Sharon said.

    "Yeah, thanks." I said, wiping the blood from my knife and hauling the Flag Smasher up. "Here. Put this one away."

    Sharon took the man from me and nodded, heading out as she dragged him behind her.

    "You good?" I asked Bucky.

    "Yeah . . ." He replied, hesitantly taking a phone as a lady with short hair came up to him and handed him a phone.

    He sighed and put the phone up to his ear as we walked down the steps. "Karli? I've done this before kid, I know how it ends. You don't think I've ever fought for something bigger than myself? I have. And I've lost. Twice. Trust me, don't go down this path."

    Static came over my comms and Sharon's voice came through. "Guys, I lost him."

    "Buck, meet me in the garage." I said before streaking down to the lower levels and heading into the basement and starting up a black motorcycle.

    "Go!" Bucky said, running out and jumping on the back of the motorcycle as I peeled out into the dark streets littered with people and cars flying by.

    "Guys! The chopper is heading out! Get to it!" Sam said.

    "I don't fly. That's your thing." Bucky replied loudly and holding onto me as I took a corner fast, nearing a cement barricade.

    "You ready?!" I shouted to Bucky.

    "Why?"

    "This is your stop, hero!" I pulled back on the brakes quickly and it sent him flying off the motorcycle and he landed perfectly.

    "I'll go find Karli!" I shouted before flying down the streets again.

———

I watched from next to Bucky as Sam talked to the government and senators.

    "And you think the people who reappeared only to find somebody else living in their family home, they just end up homeless? Look, I get it, but you have no idea how complicated this is." A senator said, his hair stark white from age.