Chapter 9: Course Correction

El turned away from the taxi window to smile at Peter. "We're finally in Paris!"

They'd just passed the Eiffel Tower. Peter had told the taxi cab driver to take the scenic route, and it was worth the exorbitant fee he'd undoubtedly charge. They'd traveled by train from London on Neal's recommendation—Peter owed him for that tip which allowed them to avoid the hassles of airport security.

The weekend had gone remarkably smoothly. The attempt on his life made them appreciate their vacation even more. They treated it as a second honeymoon. And the luxurious palace they'd stayed at thanks to Neal made it seem even more like a dream escape.

Peter spoke with John on the phone but otherwise kept his distance. Neal texted a few times to check that they were staying out of trouble. Peter planned to tease him about their role reversal.

He regretted that Fiona's work wouldn't permit her to join them in Paris. He'd looked forward to staying in the same hotel with them just like two married couples. But he consoled himself there would be more opportunities in the future. If Neal and Fiona got married, they might take family vacations. Would Neal still be Peter Pan if he had Peter Pan, Jr. running around the house? Only a few months ago, Neal spooked at the thought of bringing Fiona to their house for dinner. Now he was freely acknowledging they were a couple. How far off could the next step be?

When the cab turned onto Ile Saint-Louis, El let out a gasp. Peter was glad he'd kept the location a surprise. She knew they were staying at a place Neal had selected. She probably thought Neal had chosen another palace. Instead, the island was a rustic hamlet from a bygone era. They turned onto a street filled with expensive shops—now this was looking more like Neal. The taxi stopped in front of large wooden doors. At first, Peter couldn't even find a sign. Was this the place?

El's mouth dropped as they walked inside the Hotel du Jeu de Paume. Peter had researched the establishment. Ancient beams, soaring vaulted ceilings above rustic stone walls, contemporary artworks, piano music in the background—it was perfect. El was bouncing with excitement as she gazed around. Neal said he knew the manager and was able to get special rates. Thank you, Neal, for your connections.

Peter headed for the reception area to check in while El explored the public rooms. She returned as the clerk handed him his keys. "Neal's here," she said. "That's him singing."

Peter spun around. "He was due to arrive tomorrow."

She shrugged. "His plans must have changed. He's playing in the cocktail lounge. I don't think he saw me."

Peter left their bags at the reception area and followed El. "What's that song he's singing? It sounds very familiar."

"You should know it. It's 'Fire and Rain.' That's the song Diana chose for Neal's counterpart in her stories. Do you remember when Arkham Neal's in the coffeehouse and Sara comments he won't sing it anymore because it was Kate's favorite? I wonder if that's what inspired Neal to learn it."

"It's a sad song."

She nodded, looking worried. "I hope that's not an omen."

They stood outside the entrance to listen for a few minutes. It was early in the evening, and the tables in the lounge were filled with guests having drinks. It reminded Peter of Neal's club act at the Lynx Mountain resort last winter, but this time he was playing for himself.

"What's that song he's singing now?" Peter asked.

"A song by Coldplay. It's called 'Trouble.' Now I know something's not right."

They entered the lounge but waited till he finished before approaching the piano. Neal's smile was broad when he saw them. Perhaps they were reading too much into his music selections? After a flurry of hugs, El commented they were surprised to see him.