Chapter 10: At the Sign of the Green Cat

Peter stood off to the side as Neal discussed a painting by Caravaggio with El. They'd spent the past hour at the Louvre—barely enough time for a brief introduction. It was their final stop in a whirlwind tour of Paris highlights. Neal had been overly modest about his abilities. He wasn't a tour guide. He was a walking encyclopedia of Paris lore. How did he keep all that stuff crammed in his head?

By unspoken consensus, Fiona was not up for discussion. Neal appeared fine, his wounded feelings buried deep, and Peter wasn't about to unearth them. He was willing to give Fiona the benefit of the doubt that she'd deluded herself as well as Neal. He was proud that Neal had opened up to her about his work and hoped that her rejection didn't make him think that was a mistake.

Neal focused on the sights he'd thought Peter would particularly enjoy since this was his only day free. Before the Louvre, they visited the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, the Military Museum, and Napoleon's Tomb. At the Louvre, Neal was even more animated than usual. Peter longed to know about his personal history with the museum. Last night, Neal confided that he'd stayed in Paris several times with Chantal and Klaus. Had they broken into the Louvre? More than once?

Peter approached the painting Neal and El were discussing. It was called The Fortune Teller. "What are you two chuckling about? I want in on the joke."

"Didn't you know El's my fortune teller?" Neal said mischievously.

"I should have known. Now I understand what you were doing on the patio this morning."

El clasped Peter's hand and stroked it. "Would you like me to read your palm, kind sir?"

He adopted a stern expression. "Do you intend to lift my ring like the woman in the painting?"

"What?" Her eyes widened and she turned to reexamine the scene. "I hadn't noticed that."

Neal grinned. "Sharp eyes, partner. I knew you'd spot it."

He waggled a finger at the two of them. "Let that serve as a lesson to you both. Your scheming won't stand a chance against Hawkeye Burke."

Neal muttered in a loud stage whisper to her. "We'll plan our next heist when he's not around." He nodded to the gallery on the right. "There's a painting in there I especially want you to see. It's called The Astronomer. You may decide to commission us."

"I've seen photos of that," Peter said, growing excited. "I didn't realize it was at the Louvre. El, you'll love this. It's a portrait by Vermeer. An astronomer's studying a celestial globe."

She linked her arm through Neal's. "Is Ursa Minor among the constellations?"

"Don't give me that innocent look," Neal protested. "You're already planning the jokes, aren't you?"

Unfortunately, the Baby Bear comments would have to wait. When they arrived at the gallery, they learned that the painting was currently not being exhibited. But there was no shortage of other paintings to admire.

After the Louvre, they stopped for an early supper at a nearby café. El planned to stroll along the Champs-Élysées while Neal took Peter to meet with Klaus's ex-wife, Chantal Delon. She'd returned to Paris in the afternoon from a short vacation. Since her restaurant was closed for the day, this was their best opportunity.

Up to now, Peter had relied exclusively on Neal to understand Klaus since he knew of no one else who'd worked with the master thief. He was counting on Chantal to help fill in the picture.

Her restaurant was on a small side street on the Left Bank opposite Notre Dame. As they walked along the quai to their appointment, he asked Neal if he'd spoken with Henry.