- chapter three

A booming crack echoed across the grounds and an eerie silence overcame them as the air settled back to its usual state. Despite the low summer sun, the Manor was still shrouded in darkness, as unwelcoming as ever and an ominous blot against the rural landscape.

Draco let go of Hermione's hand as soon as his feet made contact with the ground, repulsed and rubbing his hand against his trouser leg to rid himself of her lingering touch.

Hermione held her tongue and stared ahead, knowing yelling at him for his discriminatory behaviour would be useless right now. He'd surprised her enough already by deciding to join the efforts against Harry and behaving relatively civil, questioning it now would only cause him to retaliate further.

"The guards are down as I suspected" Draco mumbled under his breath, talking to himself more than anything, stepping forward and carefully resting his palm on the cold iron gate. It responded to him in an instant, the metal curls steadily unravelling and unlocking at his touch.

Hermione stood behind him with her wand tight in her grasp at her side, watching over his shoulder as a loud creak echoed through the air, the gate slowly opening before them. Whilst the lock was still intact, Voldemort's added protection seemed to have perished, the Manor's security compromised since his death and reduced to nothing but its usual enchantments.

She looked up as they began to walk forward towards the sinister Manor, she hadn't exactly had the time to take in how majestically haunting the building was on first arrival, she was too busy trying to figure out how to stay alive. It could've been beautifully warm, inviting even, if it was occupied by another wizarding family, a family more interested in its upkeep and radiance but something about it suited the Malfoys perfectly, she couldn't imagine them residing anywhere else.

Hermione felt her heart begin to race, her own breath echoing in her ears as she ascended the grand staircase into the dark of the drawing-room. The last time she'd graced this room, she'd been at the brink of death, begging for her torturous ordeal to end but the memory diminished as her eyes lay on the harrowing sight before her, one that made her chest cease up and her lips part in a silent gasp.

The remains of goblins massacred prior to the war, Griphook included, lay strewn across the floor like discarded dolls. Flies gathered over them like a thick storm cloud and the smell of stale blood and rotting flesh filled her nostrils, making her practically gag upon entering.

Draco didn't even give the remains a second glance or seem particularly disgusted by the odour, he had grown accustomed to such horrors. He had his sights set on something else, immediately heading for the family library without checking that Hermione followed, his brows furrowed but overall his expression stoic in concentration. Something felt different.

His parents weren't there but that was to be expected, the Manor had been controlled so heavily by Voldemort up until the very last minute, a shell of the grandeur it had been. He had adapted to it and was used to how the Manor felt, but something troubled him. Something felt disturbed.

"Where are you going?" Hermione followed after him, almost skidding across the polished and bloodstained wooden floor across to the adjacent corridor as she held her hand over her mouth and nose, her voice muffled but quieter than usual upon noticing his manner. She clung to her wand desperately by her side, unable to fully trust her companion given the overbearing unease she still felt in his presence.

Draco didn't spare her a response, passing his father's study before pausing abruptly in his stride, his breath catching in the back of his throat and his face draining of what little rosiness flushed his usual chalky complexion.

Hermione stumbled and collided with his back as he suddenly came to a stop and opened her mouth to scold him but he raised his finger to his lips with a tilt of his head, indicating she stayed silent as he turned his attention to the study beside them.