Pilot

... POV

My boss' heels clacked as she came down the hall way. Everyone sat up straight and put on their game faces. From her looks she was nothing to fear but this office knew she was nothing to play with. She inherited this law firm when her parents passed away in a car accident when she was just a young child. Until she was old enough to run it, her aunt ran it.

     And when she took over, most people hated it. For the most part, it's cause she hadn't even finished law school. I, however, never had any hard feelings for her. We are just a few years apart, me being older. I couldn't believe the things some people said about her when I got here. Most of it was rumors and downplaying her success. But from what I've seen, she's kept this business afloat.

     But back to what I was saying. Her heels clacked and clacked. She stopped in her tracks with her assistant right beside her. I noticed she was carrying trays of coffee and he was carrying boxes of donuts. Something important was about to happen but I didn't know what it was. Everyone looked around confused and whispered to each other. She only brought in donuts and coffee when we were having a rough week in the office or if we were working on something big. We hadn't discussed any big case or anything earlier.

            She looked around and cleared her throat to make sure everyone was paying attention.

    " If your name gets called, please rise and follow me to my office. Today is gonna be a great day people," she said smirking.

          She opened the doors to her office and her assistant began to call out names.
         " Keith Donaveli ."
          " Alicia Washington."
          "Donovan Cleaves."
          "Christopher Brownslee"
           "Khalil Hampton"
          " and last but not least, Khalia Hampton."
    I looked up at my twin brother Khalil surprised and he shrugged his shoulders. We both got up and walked in the office. Her assistant following behind us. We sat at the conference table and whispered amongst ourselves
" Why are we here?"
"What did we do?"
                  " I swear if any of you got me
                mixed up in some bullshit"
" Are we about to lose our jobs?"
"Don't say that. She might really be firing us."
The boss had finally settled in and walked to the doors to close them. We saw our coworkers peeking from their desks. She closed the double doors shut, locking them. She turned to face us with her hands still on the knobs.
"I see that you all are wondering why you are here. Well the truth is, I need you guys to help me sky-rocket this business. Im gonna need blood, sweat, and tears. What we're about to do is not for the weak. We're gonna go through hell. We're gonna feel pain. If you can't handle that, you can leave out of here and pack your things," she said looking around the table.
Everyone looked at each other yet no one moved from their seats. Her assistant chuckled and grabbed a stack of papers off his desk.
" Good," she said while taking a deep breath," we are the only big black owned law firm here and these white corporations are fighting us tooth and nail. However, we aren't going down with out a fight. What Kobe is handing you is something that's gonna protect all of us."
He laid the paper in front of me and it was a Non-Disclosure Agreement. I looked at her and she was already staring at me. We made eye contact and she channeled my soul. We all scanned through and debated on signing the papers. We pulled out our pens and signed. Kobe came back around and picked them up.
          "Now we are a team. That means we move as one and we do as one. No one makes a decision before running it by me. If you do make a decision without me, you better make sure it's a damn good one. We are about to put our foots down." She walked to the head of the table and but her palms on it.
"We can no longer feel sorry for ourselves. I don't care who we have to step on to get to the top. And when we do, stick your heel deep into their necks and don't let up."
She stood up straight and went to this large window that replaced the back wall and looked out of it with Kobe by her side . It showed the whole city from this one window. I couldn't see her face but I could tell she was smirking again.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, it's time to take over ATL."
We all looked at each other and realized we just got ourselves into some deep shit.