x accuse x

x accuse x

“Um… are you mad at me?”

“Hm?” He had his hands resting in his pockets, his back straight as always. He turned his head a bit and side eyed you. “Why would I be mad at you?”

You were dumbfounded. “You… you were just yelling at me. Plus you kind of...always look a bit angry.”

“Really?” he grumbled.

“Yeah," you said, laughing nervously a bit. You jogged  to catch up to him and walked by his side, having to considerably quicken your pace in order to keep up. He did it subtly, but you could tell he slowed down some to match you. It made your face warm.

“S-so, did you guys find out anything good from the police station?”

“No. No one who looks like that is in their database.”

Your heart sank. “That sucks.”

He grunted in reply.

And you guys were back to an awkward silence.

Considering how nervous you were around him, silences like this felt like torture. You racked your brain to think of something, anything to say.

“O-oh! I wanted to ask you something…”

“Hm?”

“How do...well, not you specifically, but...how do you get one of these stands?”

He was quiet for so long you thought he just outright ignored the question, but then he spoke.

“There are multiple ways. How I got mine...Well, one day I just had him.”

“Nothing caused it?”

He was quiet for a while again. “Not anything...that I did.”

“Really…”

“My grandad, the old geezer, told me of a way...to get stabbed with some kind of arrow.”

“Ounch. Sounds painful, how does it even work?”

“I guess you should ask him about that...even though he rarely visits us anymore.”

“Sorry to hear that,” was all you said.

“Hm? Oh, it’s nothing sad or anything. He lives in the US, plus he travels all around the world. I guess that’s how he knows so much...even though he can be an idiot sometimes.” Through the darkness of the evening you could have swore you saw the corner of his mouth turn up a bit.

“Are you...smiling?”

The smile disappeared as he looked at you. Oops. You didn’t even mean to say it, the thought just slipped right through your head and out of your mouth.