You Had Me All Along - Chapter 39

Chapter 39

"So, you two are doing good?"

   The question came from Dylan, later that evening, and it wasn't completely unexpected. I'd seen how he'd been watching Carson and I throughout the day. He'd stayed quiet, until now. He and Sam, Dalton and Trinity, Michael and Rose and Carson and I were back out in the yard, sitting around the fire.  Everything felt so good, like it was too good to be true. This was the first time anything like this had happened - all of us together, with significant others.

   I nodded, knowing Dylan was talking about Carson and I. "We are really good."

   "So, you dated in high school and didn't talk for years and then got back together recently?" Michael asked, trying to piece together the situation with what little info he'd gotten over the day.

   "Pretty much," Carson answered, smiling at me.

   Of course, that was not the full truth, but it was what had happened.

   "Well, I think that's awesome," Rose spoke up, surprising me. I hadn't heard her talk much at all. Now, she was sipping a wine cooler and smiling at me. "If you belong together, it'll all work out."

   "That's cheesy," Dylan laughed, but grinned at Sam. They were newly dating, a month at most. I hadn't heard why he'd ended it with Halley, but I didn't really care. Dylan didn't keep girlfriends long. Usually he acted like a jerk or didn't pay enough attention. But he was charming and attractive, so he always got another girl.

   "It's weird to me," Dalton spoke, narrowing his eyes at me. "Because I remember you sneaking around with Carson, when you were like, fifteen. You thought we didn't know."

   I shrugged, squeezing Carson's hand. "I was young, and I thought you'd tell mom," I admitted.

   "Oh, I know," Dalton laughed. "It was funny though, that you thought you were being sneaky about having a boyfriend, then."

   Carson smiled this very real smile, then shook his head at me. "She knew I was trouble, but she cared me about anyway."

   "And now? You're not trouble anymore, are you?" Michael wanted to know. He looked half serious and half like he was just trying to give Carson a hard time.

   "I'm actually doing well, and having Arden by my side makes me feel pretty damn lucky," he answered, without missing a beat.

   "Soooo, Germany?" Dylan spoke up, changing the subject. I was happy about that. "Dude, that's going to be epic."

   "Yeah. We are pretty excited," Michael smiled, then looked at me again. "I'll miss you guys, but it'll make the next visit extra special."

   "And that will be when?" Dalton asked, rolling his eyes.

   "A year, maybe two..." Michael let his voice trail off, but then went on. "We want to start a family, when we are there."

   "Ooooh, Mikey," Dylan laughed, then drank back his beer. "You're growing up."

   Rose was just smiling at Michael, like he was everything she ever wanted. It was pretty sweet, actually.

   "I'm happy for you," Dalton told Michael a minute later.

   "I am, too," I added. And I meant it, now.

   Though all three of my brother's girlfriends were staying at the house, with my brothers, Carson thanked everyone for the fun day and evening and left, after midnight. I knew he didn't want to get off on the wrong foot with my parents, and him leaving was the right thing to do. But I wasn't happy about it.