You Had Me All Along - Chapter 50

Chapter 50

I managed to not cry until we were back in the car, but handing over that baby was the hardest part. Lacey took him out of the car seat and kissed him, telling him she missed him, and my heart felt like it was being torn apart. I stood back while Carson told her when Hunter had eaten and slept last, and I waited by the door until he was back by my side again.

   Lacey smiled over at me, at just the right moment. She had Hunter over her shoulder, his head resting on the base of her neck. "Thank you for taking care of him," she said, keeping her eyes on me.

   I swallowed hard. When she'd left Carson's apartment the day before, I had no idea that I'd feel this way now. I had no clue how much I'd fall in love with Hunter, and feel as protective and attached to him as I was.

   "Of course," I managed to say, then nodded.

   Carson squeezed my hand. "I couldn't have done it without Arden," he said to Lacey.

   She nodded, which meant she understood that he and I were really in this together. I felt a weird desire to get out of there, though, so when we got back to Carson's car, I felt relieved.

   "We'll see him again in two weeks," Carson told me, starting the car.

   I clicked in my seat belt, sighing. Tears already filled the spots behind my eyes. I knew if I said anything, I'd been crying, so I just nodded and watching as he put the hospital into the GPS. Now I had to go see my brother, who was hurt. Dropping off Hunter was enough, how was I going to get through this?

   We are here, I sent a text to Dalton, when Carson pulled into the hospital parkade.

   Okay. Fourth floor, room 412, or just ask at the desk, Dalton sent back a few minutes later.

   I wasn't ready. My hand was shaking as I got out of the car and walked towards the main doors. I hadn't been in a hospital since Rylee was born, and that was only on the maternity ward. This was so different.

   Up on the fourth floor, Carson could tell I was spiraling.

   "Hey, I'm here," he whispered, slipping his hand into mine.

   "I know, but I'm just..." I let my voice trail off.

   "Arden," I heard Dalton's voice, suddenly.

   Spinning around, there he was, coming directly at us. "Hey," I said quietly.

   "Dylan's room is just down here. Come on," he went on, nodding towards the hallway.

   I didn't move, so neither did Carson. "I'm... scared."

   Dalton nodded. "Arden, he's okay. He's looking forward to seeing you. We waiting until now for a reason. It was scary, when he was not awake and waiting on surgery. But they said he's on the mend, now."

   I nodded back, finally finding the ability to walk.

   Dylan was sitting up, mostly, looking at a tablet, as we walked into the room. I knew the fact that he had been moved to a regular room from the ICU was a good sign, but seeing him with IVs and a wires, and the full leg cast still made my stomach drop.

   "Hey," Dylan smiled, looking over as soon as he saw us.

   I forced a smile. "Hey."

   Carson stepped behind me, but nodded at Dylan. "How're you doing?"